Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Default November Wedding

I recently had the honor of shooting the wedding of two of my former students, with a third former student handling the other camera. I have really come to enjoy using selective color on weddings.

I knew that rice was no longer thrown because of environmental concerns, but I would have never thought of the bride and groom exiting through an arch of sparklers....as the bride's dad said, "Let's see if we can set fire to the bride and groom"

The bride was very beautiful....aren't all brides?....so I used her dad's judgment and picked the ones he liked best to show

Without question, though, the shot of the night was one taken by my "assistant." It counts for this forum since she was using my K7 and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens.... low light, handheld....so focus is not spot on, but is actually pretty effective. The ringbearer is the bride's little brother. This was right after the ceremony in a candid moment.

My shots were with the K5 and a variety of lenses....most commonly the 18-135 WR at fairly high ISO.

Sorry for my absence....it hasn't been an easy fall... a hard school year and some significant medical problems haven't left as much time as I would like for the camera...or for anything else I want to do. Hoping more time will begin to clear.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:21 AM   #2

Looking Good Paul, I haven't shot a wedding in about 40 years but need to shoot a small one in a few weeks, second marriage for both. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas. Hope all turns out well on the medical front. The last one is a magical moment but from as little as we can see you did great on the rest.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:18 PM   #3

I'm impressed. These pictures look really good to me, I would love to have taken any of them. But then, I've never tried to shoot a wedding. I'm so allergic to the idea that I didn't take my camera to the last wedding I went to.

Sorry to hear about the health issues, it seems like the older we get the more issues we have and the less likely we are to overcome them easily.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:23 PM   #4

Paul - some wonderful photos - great job on this most special occasion!

Also hoping/praying that your health issues are resolved soon.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:14 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your medical issues. Hope you get better soon. Great photos thanks for sharing them
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6

All of them are excellent photos, and I agree that your assistant got a real winner. I like the soft focus -- you could almost say that it was an intentional effect. I'm sorry to hear of your health issues. Hang in there and keep your spirits up.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:20 AM   #7

Great photos...but one in particular is exceptional. The first one. As you say you are enjoying the selective colour feature and this is an outstanding example of this feature in use.

The bride, groom and minister in colour and the Bride's party in B+W...really works very well.

Aside from being a wedding photo..it also offers a hint of photo journalism...with the expression of the Bride's party members.

Also # 3 of the flower girl...well done.

Sorry to hear about your medical issues.

Last edited by lesmore49; Dec 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:32 PM   #8

Very pleased to see you are still shooting Paul .. and looking good too (shots not you) !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:19 PM   #9

Beautiful images, Paul. You did a great job. I'm not a fan of selective coloring photos, but you pulled it off with these. I can't decide on a favorite.

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues. It is tough as we get older to deal with all these things. I know my life has definitely changed since my health issues in the past few years. I used to be here all the time as I got on my computer every day. Now, not so much. But, I am hoping to get back into photograph soon and posting here again. Looking at postings tonight, I realize how much I've missed.

I hope all your medical issues are now resolved.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote