Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:03 PM   #1

Default new years eve, K5 and 10-17 mostly

Best wishes and happiness to all :-)

Celebrated new years eve with my girlfriend in an amusement park. It was a very rainy night unfortunately, but it didn't take away the atmosphere. It was a bit tricky taking the pictures though; The K-5 won't bother, but the 10-17 DA has no WR rating so I didn't take too many in the open.

rocking boat, distortion corrected

attraction is called 'dream flight' (literally translated). The gondola you're in is constantly moving and light conditions are critical but still managed to get a few shots that almost worked

No DOF but 'DOM' (depth of motion) if you will; Gondola and camera panning around the subject, causing the background to be motion-blurred

swinging around in a room; distortion corrected

the park is all about fairytails

blessings for the new year :-)

17mm distortion corrected

Following noon, romantic walk, sigma 17-50 f2.8

back to the 10-17DA. I shot the following at maximum exposure bracket for HDR purposes, but eventually got best rendition from editing the darkest exposed image only. It does seem the fringing, though corrected, gives and over-sharpened feel to it.

10mm distortion corrected. The resulting stretching of the image drops the resolution towards the edges, but it's fun to get that extreme wide angle

the normal exposed non-edited version:
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:46 PM   #2

Happy New Year, and thanks for a wonderful assortment of unique light and perspectives.

Each of the amusement park shots is a bright gem. Also very interesting to see the comparison of uncorrected vs corrected image. Personal favorite is tree stump with the background of low clouds and low sun - very strong mood here.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:45 PM   #3

A cool collection of pictures! What are you using to de-fish? I tried using LR's lens profile for the 10-17 but didn't like the results at all. Yours seem to be more graceful/less stretching distortion than what I was getting. That first one is my favorite.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:33 PM   #4

The first one is a very nice shot even with the rain spots its still very well done

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:28 PM   #5

Interesting effects. I think the first image is my favorite of all.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:49 AM   #6

Thanks all

Mtngal, I use adobe camera raw or DxO optics for de-fishing. Adobe provides a lens specific profile (I understood from a colleague this is also available in lightroom), dxo needs manual setting (77 for 10mm) but works pretty good DxO also provides tools to compress the excessive stretched sides, but this will result in some curvature in the straight lines.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:31 PM   #7

Yes, ACR and LR use the same profiles/engine for straightening and I wasn't impressed with the way it worked. I don't have DxO any more (didn't upgrade it several generations ago) so can't compare. I wonder if it would work best to do most of the de-fishing with DxO then straighten the little bit of curvature with PS6's wide angle filter?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote