Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Bird with new lens

So I managed to acquire Tokina RMC 400mm f5.6 for extraordinary price of around 20 Euros. Yes, yes it was broken. Loose aperture ring and dent on the front rim. I fixed aperture ring with some wire in about 10 minutes, can't do anything about the dent though. And there's something stuck to the front element right in the middle from the inside. Tried to take the lens apart but to no avail. Anyone know how to get inside?

Back to the photo:

f8 with external flash. Manual focus is kinda hard to get used to with birds. Out of 40 photos this is the only sharp one. Some had camera shake and some were out of focus. Need more practice.

All c&c welcomed.

Greg

Pentax K-5 II, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 10-20, Vivitar S1 105/2.5 macro, Tamron 70-200/2.8, Tokina RMC 400mm/5.6
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:54 PM   #2

That looks pretty good! I know what you mean about manual focus, it takes some getting used to. I practiced with macro first, then started to use it for other things. Now I don't particularly think about it, except that it is much slower if you can't pre-focus, and I'll miss more photos than I would with AF. Camera shake is a problem for me, too - on the K5 I'll use TAv to set both an aperture and a shutter speed I want (though that can get me in trouble later if I don't remember to change the settings).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:07 PM   #3

G'day Greg

The seagull seems happy enough - tho as you say, avoiding camera shake @ 400mm is very hard ~ most of us have a monopod for this stuff

As to the lens - you must fix the dent to be able to unscrew the metal ring that holds the front [focus] elements. This is the ring that says 'tokina 400mm f2,8' etc etc etc around the outside

You will need a) lots of patience, b) a quite small hammer, c) a piece of 10 - 12mm wood / dowel and 10x cups of tea / coffee

Hold the lens securely - I have seen others resting it on their knees - while you tap-tap-tap away at the dent until it comes 'good'. It will probably take you 1/2-hour. Once it's 'pretty okay', you can unscrew the front ring using a jeweller's screwdriver into one of the two tiny slots at either side of the ring

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:31 PM   #4

Thanks for comments.

Phil: I can see two problems with that -
1. dent is quite severe

2. I can't see any notches/slots on that securing ring.

I managed to unscrew the fron half of the barrel from bottom, but that just went for few turns and then stopped, couldn't unscrew completly.

Anyway, for 20 euros it looks like bargain of the century.

Greg

Pentax K-5 II, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 10-20, Vivitar S1 105/2.5 macro, Tamron 70-200/2.8, Tokina RMC 400mm/5.6
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 PM   #5

I know what you mean about manual focus, I have been doing a lot lately with my Pentax Q and adapted old K mount lenses, lots of practice and you will succeed. I'm seeing a 15% keeper rate with my 135mm (750 mm Effective focal length on the Q) hand holding.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Kr, K30, Q & Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC A 50 f1.7, SMC-A 28 f2.8, SMC M 135 f3.5, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:59 PM   #6

G'day Greg

Keep trying mate -
- Remove the rubberised grip from the front focus ring by rolling it from the rear to the front till it comes off the lens barrel
- You will then find 3 or 4 small screws around the lens barrel holding it in place + 1 larger screw to lock it into the infinity focus position.
- After you have removed the front 'chunk' the rest of the lens is then available to you

Putting it back together is quite simple, tho you might have to reset the infinity focus bit several times to get it right ... Ive done it a dozen or times years ago when I was fiddling with my old lenses

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:46 AM   #7

Phil - I can see one more problem there: it's not a rubberized grip, it's metal. So I can't roll it off the lens. I probably missed a screw somewhere. But since I can't see anything affecting photos I'll pass. If I get sucked into bird photo I'll probably buy an AF lens, but for now this one should be enough.

Greg

Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:07 PM   #8

Greg - Congratulations on the new lens! Will definitely agree that manual focus is difficult, especially with lively subjects like your "feathered friends." I have an old, very beat up A*300 that is a very sharp lens, has taken some fine bird photos. But I haven't used it once since I got the Tokina 400. Even though the A*300 is sharper, has less CA, and better colors, the Tokina is autofocus...

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the tiny defect in the front element. Here is a link to some photos I posted (about 2 years ago) taken with the A*300. Scroll down a bit to see a photo of the very scratched up front element!

Test shots - A* 300
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9

I'm not really that bothered about that lens, photos look all right if focused properly and no camera shake. For 20 euro I couldn't expect more than this.

That A*300 looks terrible yet gives sharp photos. Go figure

Greg