Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:54 PM   #1

Default K-5 shutter button frozen...on ?

I have a K5, which I've had new since Nov. 2011. Twice, once in the summer another time...now..I've tried to take a photo and when I pressed the shutter button...the shutter button froze...wouldn't depress...just stayed on. No photo and I couldn't shut the camera off. First time it just timed out...today, I took the battery out, put it back in and it worked well...again. The shutter button function with movement and the camera worked and I could turn it on and off.

I sent it to Pentax in the summer. They couldn't find anything wrong with itI have extended warranty on it for a few more years...but this shouldn't be happening. Any ideas ?

I did have the small Pentax (waterproof...not a dslr)a couple of years ago do the same thing but I took it back to the dealer and traded it in for another camera.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:37 PM   #2

Hi Les,

I believe that this is called the "Mirror Flop" or "mirror overrun" problem. There is a lot of myth surrounding this, and some facts. It's hard to separate them, but there should be a fix. . .

The great majority of K-5s seem to not show this problem. It seems to happen most often with a fully charged battery. The mirror flops up and back down repeatedly, but no exposure is made, so the shutter is actually not involved. It also can show up in another way -- the mirror flops when any button is actuated on the camera, but no exposure is made.

Pentax seems to know how to fix this at this time, it's either a "secret FW update" only available by sending your camera in for service, or a main circuit board replacement -- I seem to remember that both have been mentioned.

This has happened to my K-5 once last summer, but not since. I also have the extended warranty, and will be sending mine in sometime this winter for the complimentary cleaning/checkup along with whatever they do to cure the mirror flop problem.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Feb 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:06 PM   #3

Thanks Scott. I've never heard of this problem. I've had this happen twice to my K-5 since I got it in Nov. 2011.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:16 PM   #4

Here's a bit more information...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...rror-flop.html

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2O6WZ...%3D2O6WZjAmCI8
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the further info. I'm still puzzling over what to do. Don't know if it will get worse or eventually disable the camera.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:17 PM   #6

I'm not sure I know of anyone who has simply put up with the problem. So it's hard to say what the long-term implictions are. If it were me, I'd send it in for service. You didn't, by any chance, buy Pentax's extended warranty, did you? Is it even available in Canada?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I'm not sure I know of anyone who has simply put up with the problem. So it's hard to say what the long-term implictions are. If it were me, I'd send it in for service. You didn't, by any chance, buy Pentax's extended warranty, did you? Is it even available in Canada?
I have an extended warranty on it from the chain I bought it from. I'm probably going to send it in for warranty.