Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Rumors K-3

I suddenly today became way of rumors that Pentax may release the K-3 in April. Some rumors say its gonna be ASP-C high end (K-5 being middle of the line) and others say its gonna be FF. Maybe I had my head in the sand and missed these rumors and maybe I talked to the wrong people but the people I talked to about my new K-5ii told me this was Pentax's new top of the line D-SLR and that Pentax had no plans for 2013 to release a better D-SLR although a FF may happen in late 2013.

If that is true I am partly pissed as I just bought a K-5ii think their wouldn't be another ASp-C top of the line camera for a year or more. Guess I was wrong. I sort of feel taken as I would certainly have gotten the higher end D-SLR a few months later if it doesn't of course come with a mega-high price tag. Now if this comes true I am gonna which I had waited.

anyone have an creditable info on this as to specs and real time lime and if it will replace the K-5ii or meant to be FF or higher level ASP-C than the K-5ii

Thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:25 PM   #2

I've heard so many rumors over the years that I take all of them with a grain of salt. And the timing (though there are a few folks that actually might know about the timing). For once I'm not at all interested in whatever they come out with. Not to say that I may not upgrade at some point, but for right now I'm still delighted with my K5.

I remember when they came out with the K10 and I couldn't wait to upgrade to it, even though I wasn't feeling that I was missing anything with my K100/DS combination. It was the only camera I ever regretted buying, it was just not much of an upgrade. I've upgraded a number of other times since then but have had specific things I was looking for that the other cameras had. They will have to offer something I haven't thought of that's really neat for me to get excited about a new camera. Even if they do come out with something fantastic, my K5 will still take the same fabulous pictures its taking now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:47 PM   #3

Rumors have it that there will be new rumors form the rumor mill. Definitely there will be a K3 in April – or not! In May we'll know for sure.
I also have a K5 and agree totally with Harriet. I will also upgrade, in a very distant future.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:10 PM   #4

I just hope AF tracking improves, and I will buy it next Year..
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:39 PM   #5

I think you have a perfectly good camera that will last you a long time. I started my journey with cameras pretty much the same way I was with computers -- always chasing after the latest bleeding edge stuff. I just *HAD* to have it. Then, it occurred to me one bright, sunny day that the computer I was using did everything I wanted it to do and did it very efficiently. And, just like that, my "grass is always greener" days were done. I did the same thing with cameras for a while until about 1 1/2 year ago it dawned on me what was going on. So I hung onto the cameras I have and only recently "upgraded" to a K-30 but ONLY after selling off all my Oly stuff to offset the cost of the K-30 & new lenses. I anticipate the K-30 will do me just fine for a good, long time. I *might* upgrade my HS-20, but at this point, it's not looking likely.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:36 PM   #6

For me the only reason I have upgraded is for either a better viewfinder (Oly e-500 to E-1, both of which I still have) or better high ISO results (k-100d super to K-x). A k-5 would be a step up in the latter and maybe the former as well so I personally would love a K-3 to be introduced to put lots of K-5's on the used market

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
For me the only reason I have upgraded is for either a better viewfinder (Oly e-500 to E-1, both of which I still have) or better high ISO results (k-100d super to K-x). A k-5 would be a step up in the latter and maybe the former as well so I personally would love a K-3 to be introduced to put lots of K-5's on the used market

John

Good point! I have a K-7. If a K-3 were to come out... it would be worth looking in to, but if it is way over the top in price, then the K-5 IIs will only have to come down a little.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Good point! I have a K-7. If a K-3 were to come out... it would be worth looking in to, but if it is way over the top in price, then the K-5 IIs will only have to come down a little.

Ned
Chalk me up for interested in a K-3 as well, also if for no other reason than the K-5 will drop in price. Not touched my K-7 for so long now, I have been messing around with my Leica IIIb and some medium format cameras instead.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:14 PM   #9

Unless Pentax changes their attitude about convenience features in their higher end cameras, I don't see a k-3 in my future. The addition of focus peaking (by firmware upgrade) has made the K-01 eminently useable indoors, but could it could still profit by an EVF outdoors, and a fold-out LCD. They probably could have added focus peaking to the K-5 if they wanted to, but are afraid it would downgrade its "serious photographer" image in the eyes of buyers. It is also in the Q, although it is not as distinct as that in the K-01.

Improved sensor technology is introduced first in small cameras where it is least expensive to produce and has the biggest impact - much improved IQ over earlier sensors of the same or even greater size. Believe it or not, in spite of its small sensor, the little X-5 is the camera I have been using most lately for casual photography (although it may still have some need for post processing) - not so much for IQ but for convenience. It has a folding LCD, and an EVF, in addition to its small, light form factor. It is a sweet, capable, feature rich, inexpensive little camera - and it handles like a mimi-dslr. It won't replace my K-5 or K-01, but I like this camera, which has exceeded my initial expectations. I like it a lot.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:04 PM   #10

I'm perfectly happy with my K5. Does everything I need. And, probably more. I'm still learning stuff about it. So, no K3 in my future. I went from the original K100 to the K20 to the K5. Each move up for a reason. The K5 mostly for the video and the better in low light capabilities.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote