Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Shutter count skip ???

I was putting all my photos on my new laptop and am noticing I seem to be missing some photos. But, something isn't right.

I'm using the K5, with the camera set to number the photos numerically. On 10/14 I have the last image numbered 3404. The next photo I can find is on 10/17 numbered 4333. That would mean I took 929 photos in three days. I do not remember having taken that many photos during that time!

I've done a search of my entire Pictures folder looking for IMGP4000 (between the two I can find), but it finds nothing but a photo I took in 2007 on my K100.

So, I thought I'd download PhotoMe (which, by the way, seems to work on Win8) and see if I could check the shutter count on the images. This gets even stranger.

Image 3404 has a shutter count of 3352. (my camera)
Image 4333 has a shutter count of 9928!!!!! (Lou's camera)
Image 4366 has a shutter count of 3376. (back to my camera)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I figured this out. So others in the future might not have this problem (and I'll hopefully remember this happened), the issue seems to be with the fact that my card was in another camera when the numbering changed. Which explains why the jump in image numbers. Guess it continues counting wherever it left off even if you put it back in the original camera. But, the shutter count matched whichever camera it was in at the time.

So, never mind my question. I feel better now that I have a reason for "not remembering having taken nearly 1,000 photos and lost them". I knew my memory hadn't been great since chemo, but this really had me scared. I could not imagine that I would have forgotten something like that.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I was putting all my photos on my new laptop and am noticing I seem to be missing some photos. But, something isn't right.

I'm using the K5, with the camera set to number the photos numerically. On 10/14 I have the last image numbered 3404. The next photo I can find is on 10/17 numbered 4333. That would mean I took 929 photos in three days. I do not remember having taken that many photos during that time!

I've done a search of my entire Pictures folder looking for IMGP4000 (between the two I can find), but it finds nothing but a photo I took in 2007 on my K100.

So, I thought I'd download PhotoMe (which, by the way, seems to work on Win8) and see if I could check the shutter count on the images. This gets even stranger.

Image 3404 has a shutter count of 3352. (my camera)
Image 4333 has a shutter count of 9928!!!!! (Lou's camera)
Image 4366 has a shutter count of 3376. (back to my camera)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I figured this out. So others in the future might not have this problem (and I'll hopefully remember this happened), the issue seems to be with the fact that my card was in another camera when the numbering changed. Which explains why the jump in image numbers. Guess it continues counting wherever it left off even if you put it back in the original camera. But, the shutter count matched whichever camera it was in at the time.

So, never mind my question. I feel better now that I have a reason for "not remembering having taken nearly 1,000 photos and lost them". I knew my memory hadn't been great since chemo, but this really had me scared. I could not imagine that I would have forgotten something like that.

Patty
Thanks for this Patty, I know I've scratched my head over this one in the past back in the days when I had 2 x P&S cameras, I'm pretty sure your solution explains what happened. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:42 AM   #3

Hi Patty, I just ran into a similar issue but mine was caused by a firmware bug in my Pentax Q, it reset my SHUTTER count, yes "shutter" count to "0" and my image count is at about 4000 based on the card in the camera. The firmware has been pulled from the Pentax site but not before it reset a lot of cameras of people on the other forum, want to buy a new Q, every time I reinstall that firmware it resets everything to factory new. I can reinstall the old firmware but the new stuff has better AF.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Kr, K30, Q & Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC A 50 f1.7, SMC-A 28 f2.8, SMC M 135 f3.5, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:23 PM   #4

There's a way to reset the counter to match the shutter count, I think I recall you have to change the camera to number the files by date or something like that. There instructions here somewhere. At least you didn't actually lose any pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote