Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Default The Sky Train Bridge

Gee, I haven't posted here in quite a while. Just been busy, and I guess lazy too. I have not shot as much as Harriett has, but I have done some shooting.

One evening I was surfing the web and I came across a photo contest for bridges - run by ASCE, the American Society of Civil Engineers. Normally I don't enter contests, so I just continued on. A few days later I was over at the airport leaving for yet another business trip and I saw that they were running the new Sky Train - its a people mover project connecting the terminals with the parking lots and the trolly line to downtown - in all the system is several miles. So, while at the airport I pulled up the site to see if it was open or what the schedule was.

What I read was that the system was going to open soon and it featured the only bridge in the world to go over an active taxiway, with planes going under a bridge that carried the train from the parking lots to the terminal. I remembered the bridge contest.....

Upon my return I needed to pick up my son who was coming down from Flagstaff to fly out for a job interview. So, I brought my camera gear down to the airport - picked up Greg, and we went to the parking structure that had a view of the bridge, and ran across a retired TWA mechanic, who just happened to have the schedule of when planes would be passing under the bridge - about 6.30 to 7.15 pm - and the Sky Train was actually running static load tests. Bridge, Planes and Train - all in one frame.

When I left the house I was thinking wide angle. Getting to the top of the parking structure - it as more like moderate telephoto - 85mm. Plus, I was loosing the sun. Kept adjusting the aperture open and bumping up the ISO, trying to get the plane in the frame with the timing of the train over the bridge, while loosing the light. And either the plane or train or both with their moving were somewhat blurred.

Anyway, I burned through about 300 frames and actually caught a few good ones. The first one is what I submitted on the last day of the contest under the new bridge category...

Attached Images
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:16 AM   #2

You did a great job on the exposure keeping the bright lights from burning out, I like the composition on the first and the perspective on the last one

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Very cool! Amazing that you could manage to catch it all as well as you did. The second one is neat also, and I find it fascinating that they would build a bridge over a taxiway. That's amazing!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote