Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 10, 2013, 1:11 PM   #1

Default Spots on Pictures

Has anyone experienced the kind of spots shown in the sky in this shot? They suddenly appeared. The sensor mapping in my Kx shows pure white and I cleaned both the mirror and the focus piece with no effect. This isn't random dust or a hair. The consistent spacing and size makes me wonder is this isn't an electronic curcuit failure of some kind. It's not the lens as I tried several different lenses with the same effect. If you have an information or experienced this, I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2013, 1:24 PM   #2

If the sensor is clean you should get the camera checked, it looks like a sensor problem.

Micro 4/3:
Olympus E-P2, E-PM1 with 17mm f2.8, 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ, 40-150mm f4-5.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Sigma 30mm f2.8, BCL15

Old May 10, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3

I would have said sensor dust, but you said the sensor looks clean (I assume you also blew it off, even though the dust indicator shows clear). I think it should be sent in, it does look weird and I haven't seen anything quite like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4

I would also have said sensor dust, especially with the small aperture used for the shot. Can you try some test shots of either blue sky or a light, solid color ceiling or wall at both small and large apertures to compare?
I am guessing that previous pixel mapping may have created artifacts which, if the dust were removed after mapping, actually creates the problem it was designed to eliminate. Maybe? Possibly a reset of the camera to factory specs (no pun intended) would help.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 2:21 AM   #5

They look like dust spots to me
This article has an example of a photo with a sensor dust spot:
http://aviewfinderdarkly.com.au/2007...l-photographs/
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I will try several of the suggestions and report back. I suppose the worst that could happen is I have to get a new camera. Oh gee, If I have to.
Old May 11, 2013, 4:10 PM   #7

Did you check for UFO sightings? As fast as they travel, even a fast shutter speed wouldn't be able to stop the action and you'd get the resulting effect. The Truth Is Out There!!!!!!!!!
Old May 11, 2013, 4:50 PM   #8

G'day mate

Although the dots across the top of the image appear to form a pattern of some sort, I would still suggest a sensor clean

I use the Copperhill cleaning kit - and on another camera sensor appearing like this, it took over a dozen goes at the sensor to get it back to 100%

Hope this helps a bit ...
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 7:34 PM   #9

I had spots like that on my Kr, I tried to clean the sensor by breathing on then wiping it with a Q tip and it left that kind of marks when I shot using small apertures. I had to repeat the process several times. I know that is not the correct way to clean a sensor but I was away from home and wanted to use the camera. The spots didn't show up using the Dust Alert but did on images when using small apertures. All is good now after improperly cleaning my sensor.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Kr, K30, Q & Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC A 50 f1.7, SMC-A 28 f2.8, SMC M 135 f3.5, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; May 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 9:48 AM   #10

Good one Bob Ir. So far, nothing worked. I was going to give up, but that it took so many sensor cleanings means I will give it a bunch more goes. I had never cleaned the sensor before and I very rarely change lenses, so it is somewhat of a mystery.