Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2013, 2:07 PM   #1

Default Simplicity?

When I saw Ira's challenge topic this month, I immediately thought of this picture. I was going to submit it, but what I really want is some reaction to it, and I'm not sure it really falls into the simplicity category as much as it does minimalist (there's a slight difference). In any case, I really would like to know if you hate it, like it, what you think I could/should have done differently in the processing. And I did mean it to be extreme, just not entirely sure (now that I got the effect I wanted) whether it works or not.

Now that I've done all sorts of things to it, I think it is one of my many "almost" shots - not quite retrievable. But my opinion is colored by how much I've looked at it, I'd be interested in someone who doesn't have a clue of what I started out with thinks of it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2013, 7:41 PM   #2

Very interesting treatment of the image. I find it a very effective "moody" photo. Maybe a little bit of distraction from that OOF grass(?) in front of the middle goose, but still very effective...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3

I like the image. It certainly catches my eye and makes me look at it closely. If it were mounted on a gallery wall, I would surely take a long time looking at it. But I'm left wondering, are these geese enjoying a cool foggy morning, or are they being zapped by a giant celestial X-Ray?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:48 PM   #4

ROTFL! mtnman - I know what you mean about it - that's why I wanted other feedback besides myself.

I agree with mole about the OOF grass, but I was a bit afraid to try removing it (and I was getting tired of the photo, it went through a number of stages to get here). Sometimes that works well but often you run into problems with fine detail, so I left it alone.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:13 AM   #5

Very eye catching. I would crop some of the dark top off.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 1:43 PM   #6

A very striking image, the extreme contrast certainly isolates the subject and does simplify the whole scene.

Micro 4/3:
Olympus E-P2 (x2) and Lumix G2 with 17mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 and Sigma 30mm f2.8, BCL15

Old May 27, 2013, 9:47 PM   #7

I really like the photo, but simplistic, NO. It's attraction is its complexity.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 8:33 PM   #8

Very striking - I like the effect. However it looks better on the light theme where the background has a border - on the dark theme it looks like you are looking through a slit - it needs a somewhat lighter background or a frame line to delineate it.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 8:51 PM   #9

I didn't think of that when I posted it, since I use the lighter theme. A very good suggestion, I can put a small light border/frame around it. Have to think about it, there's a number of ways of doing something, but what to do?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:16 AM   #10

Wow, far from simplicity though.