Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:51 PM   #1

Default Need help K100D not reading any card

My K100D does not die yet. But it is useless if it cannot read any sdcard at all.
The error msg is 'card reading error'
I tried different cards and different cameras (K20D & DL). It is apparently that K100D cannot read any card.
I appreciate if you can provide any clue as to my next step. Thanks

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:45 AM   #2

I would try re-installing the firmware, I see it is still available. The process of turning the camera power on while pressing the MENU button might override the card error.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Kr, K30, Q & Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC A 50 f1.7, SMC-A 28 f2.8, SMC M 135 f3.5, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:44 AM   #3
Administrator

The original K100D firmware did not support SDHC Cards. Note the support page about memory card errors:

http://support.pentaximaging.com/node/1205

Firmware Version 1.01 added SDHC Support for some cards, and Version 1.02 improved SDHC compatibility.

So, it sounds like you're probably trying to use SDHC cards (4GB or larger cards are SDHC) in a K100D with older firmware.

I'd update it's firmware to the latest 1.02 release. You may need to use an SD (versus SDHC) card to perform the update. Do you have an older 2GB or smaller SD card sitting around? You'll probably need to use an SD (not SDHC) card so it will be recognized in a K100D with older firmware.

You'll see the download buttons for 1.02 at the bottom of this page:

http://ricoh-imaging.ca/en/support/digital/k100d_s.php
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The original K100D firmware did not support SDHC Cards. Note the support page about memory card errors:
It was working fine with larger than 2 Gb card (or smaller card) a few days ago. Somehow it did not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I would try re-installing the firmware, I see it is still available. The process of turning the camera power on while pressing the MENU button might override the card error.

Hans
Hans
Thanks a million. That works great now. I am down to version 1 and it reads 1 Gb card alright now. Right on

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:54 PM   #5

Daniel - So glad to hear that (thanks to Hans) it is working again! I was going to suggest possible mechanical problem, perhaps dust accumulation inside the card slot...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote