Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:01 PM   #1

Default Backyard Feeder Follies

I have had the opportunity to record some examples of unusual bird behavior at the nectar feeder just outside the patio doors in my backyard, but not with a Pentax, so they are not posted here, but nonetheless you may be interested in seeing what I was able to get. First a bit of explanation (some repetition in posts elsewhere):

I have long felt that birds can see into the lens and either see your eye or the movement of the mirror and react instantaneously moving their heads or blinking during the exposure, or flying off just as you are about to shoot. I recently had the frustrating experience of trying to record these behaviors with my K5 and getting absolutely nothing, being unable to frame and focus quickly enough on the rapidly moving birds. I finally switched to my Sony SLT A65 which has an electronic viewfinder and no visible light path from the lens to the viewfinder and got what looked on the LCD like useable shots of the last opportunities I had (lens was a Sigma 70-300 APO) Unfortunately due to poor lighting, too shallow DOF (these were telephoto close-ups), rapid bird movement, and the thick glass of the patio doors, the pictures, when enlarged on the monitor full screen did not yield decent images even when processed in PSE6. In desperation I tried a trial download of Topaz Lab's InFocus and was able to recover something usable. These were cropped, enlarged, and reduced for posting -- they won't win any prizes, especially since they will not stand enlargement beyond what you see, due to artifacts, but the important thing is that I now have usable records of these behaviors. Take a look and see what you think:

More Feeder Follies - Aggressive Behavior

Strange Behavior
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:04 PM   #2

Some great illustrations of some amazing behaviors. Looks like you did a very good job of recovering the photos.

Also very interesting theory about DSLR's and birds...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:55 PM   #3

Strange behavior is right. And, I think you're right about the lens thing, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:29 PM   #4

Very cool..
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments.

They start early with their aggressive behavior - here are two fledgelings awaiting their turn at the feeder (taken last year with the Pentax K5) - one is challenging its father.

Name:  IMGP0825r2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  166.8 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:07 AM   #6

Like the series, and yes a lot of birds are territorial when it comes to feeding areas.

They are not what you want to print but on my screen they look good enough.

Ronny