Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:26 PM   #1

Default Dry & Wet

Autumn is usually our driest season here in East Tennessee, so not the best time for waterfall watching. But the little falls at Laurel Run are lovely even when they are not very full. Here are some views of the smallest falls - the middle falls.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:27 PM   #2

And a few shots at the lower falls.
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:28 PM   #3

I said that Autumn is usually our driest season. But we've already had one good snow (!) and a few days of heavy rain. One of those rainiest days I had a few spare moments to head on up Dry Creek in nearby Greene County. It certainly wasn't dry this time!
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:29 PM   #4

There are many small splashes and riffles along the creek - here's one that's usually a trickle!
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:30 PM   #5

This is an area of complex geology - some very interesting rock strata along the creek...
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:31 PM   #6

It took some careful wading and climbing to get a good angle on this little waterfall. Again, it's usually just a tall trickle of water, but was quite swollen with the downpour...
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:33 PM   #7

Heavy downpours continued to raise the creek levels as we approached Margarette Falls. Was glad to have a WR camera, but wishing for a WR lens, and a "FR" ("fog-resistant") polarizer! Filter kept fogging up (and getting sprayed by the waterfall) faster than I could wipe it, so all these shots are quite hazy. Not sure if I like the effect or not - would really appreciate your input on these!
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:33 PM   #8

Hike back down was a good test of raincoat and boots, but a bit too wet for any more snapshots. Hope you enjoyed the wet photos, and thanks for any comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9

I like the first, rather foggy one rather than the clearer, more sharp second one (of the two where you asked the question). Perhaps not as a stand-alone picture, but it sure gives you the feeling of being there in the wet foggy place with you. A nice set, even if I do want to wipe the moisture from my monitor!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:00 PM   #10

Harriet - Thanks for the very helpful and specific input. Will have to send you a beach towel for your monitor!

A little side note - local rescue squad had to rescue a young climber yesterday who got stuck on a small ledge very close to these falls. A lovely location, but many potential dangers... Fortunately, this rescue was quite successful, despite some dangerous weather.