Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:59 AM   #1

Default Wolf

Hello all again! I have been absent for quite some time from the forum as unfortunately my brother passed away this summer and the desire to photograph was put to the backside of life for awhile.But life has to go on and slowly the desire is coming back..
I just wanted to share this photo as seeing these guys is very rare up here and I was so excited to be able to get one on film (pixels?)..I was driving to work when I saw up on the road ahead a bunch of ravens,magpies and what looked liked four dogs feeding on a moose carcass..so I drove ahead up over the hill while everything scattered and came back hoping they would return..Sure enough they all headed for the bush but one lingered and allowed me less than a minute of his time.
Unfortunately,my camera was still set at ASA 3200 from the basketball game the night before and I didn't have my best zoom on..but I still was happy to get some form of picture as I have only seen one of these guys once in my life..lol..I was too excited to think of the settings...
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:07 AM   #2

Good enough! Congratulations on the shot.

And sorry to hear of your loss.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Wow!!! I'd be thrilled with that too!!!

We only have (boring, common) coyotes and I don't have any pictures of them. You make me very envious to have caught a wolf in a picture. He's quite handsome, isn't (s)he?

I know what you mean about life getting in the way of taking pictures. Losing a loved one is hard, makes for a very long year.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4

3200 or not, what a shot! I'd be thrilled just to SEE one, let alone get a shot of one. Congratulations!!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Thanks for looking,everyone!..I was very excited..and it also taught me a lesson..about my settings...put them back to normal after inside shooting.....Here are the other two that I kept as keepers,also.
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:38 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Great photos of the wolf.

I've come across them over the years at the Whiteshell Prov. Park (very early in the am) ...and once in Riding Mountain. Never seen many, as they are very good at 'disappearing' in the bush and the forest.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:01 PM   #7

Thankyou,Lensmore.It's sure neat to see them..you hear about them but one rarely sights one here..altho the last couple years the locals are saying there are more of them...Now the next item on my bucket list is a cougar and that bobcat I missed in RMNP..
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashka View Post
Thankyou,Lensmore.It's sure neat to see them..you hear about them but one rarely sights one here..altho the last couple years the locals are saying there are more of them...Now the next item on my bucket list is a cougar and that bobcat I missed in RMNP..
I think the locals are right about wolves.

Last year a 160 lb. or so wolf was trapped 25 miles from the Peg in Bird's Hill.

Getting a photo of a Bobcat and a Cougar in the wild...also on my bucket list. Although for the cougar....I'm hoping if I see one...I'm taking a photo from my vehicle.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:49 PM   #9

Very sorry to hear about your brother. That must be very hard. These are all fantastic photos. I have never seen a wolf in the wild. It must be a spectacular sight. You have every right to be proud, especially considering how reclusive these animals are.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:28 PM   #10

Fantastic shots, I am sorry for your loss, I know how it can stop your desire to shoot.

Rodney