Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:04 AM   #11

Really like the various forms of ice images. great work.
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:03 PM   #12

How much editing was done to these wonderful photos? Also, which lens did you use for the bird shots? My last Pentax camera was a Spotmatic F from the film days. Your pictures look so colorful and that is why I asked about editing. If they are straight out of the camera I think I'll sell my Oly E3 and buy the new K5.
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:52 PM   #13

Jehan - So glad you enjoyed the little hike! Publishing? Maybe someday...

Narcis - Ice sure is a fascinating and varied subject! But I'm glad it's only an occasional visitor to our region.

James - Thanks for your kind words about the photos. To answer your questions - I have three birding lenses: a very old and beat-up A*300, a very old SMC 135-600, and a Tokina 400 ATX. These were taken with the Tokina - one of the smallest 400mm lenses ever made. It's not currently in production, but shows up in the used market from time to time. It's sharpest between f8 and f11. There are other much better, but much more expensive options. As far as processing, I try to get the shot right in camera, but don't always succeed. Method lately has been to take JPG + Raw. If JPG is good enough after minor "tweaking" of levels, than don't need to take time with the raw image. If exposure or color is a bit off, can use the raw files for more careful adjusting. Photos in this series only required some minor adjustments.
PS - these were taken with a Pentax K20D, which is 2 "generations" before the K-5...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:24 AM   #14

Those are great winter shots, although the Lake Ice would be around 36" thick around here by now.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:35 AM   #15

Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Stunning series Mole...I especially like the first picture in the first series. You should be publishing these and all you others!

Agreed! As always a stunning series.

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote