Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:26 AM   #1
Default Service Advisory and WARNING for K-3ii

I got my 3rd Pentax K-3ii that appeared to be working fine. Luckily I was abl t return the first 2 and get exchanges. Now the 3rd one is having AF issue where it can't lock focus at times (its hit and miss and only seems to effect lenses at 150mm or longer -- my Tamron 70-200 and Sigma 18-250mm). Both of which work on my K-3 just fine.

So I followed the service advisory info to follow-up and see if any of the effected cameras has any other know issues and to find out my next steps. So they told me I was welcome to give them the camera info and they would run it against database to see if it is effected. They did and sad yes mine has known shutter/power issue not AF but they would look at it for free after I paid for shipping to them. They gave me the service center info which is Precision Camera Repair. I mentioned I had 2 very bad experiences with them and they never repaired the camera right in question and was their another service center I could use/any other options. He sad no thats the only US service center that meets our specs, has our parts and has fast turn around time (2 week or so). I said I can not be withot my camera that long.

It got worse and here is the warning part do not give them your camera info f your not gonna follow through on the repair. So I said your gonna loose a sale as I will return the camera before I'd send it to that center. Well he replied you can't do that any more we block the return of that camera with the shop you bought it at. He read bac to me my date of purchase and shop name (all I gave him was my Name, address and serial number). So in frustration I said I will be returning camera for full refund and hung up.

I called the shop (one of the big 4 in the US). I told them I needed an RMA for camera as it was not functioning. They asked me for my account info and then came back on the phone stating we are not excepting returns on that camera you have to deal with Pentax for a repair. I said I am not looking for a repair or replacement I wat a full refund. So we argued back and forth and finally I proved they had a 30 days return police and they finally agreed to honor that. Had to fight for that.

So beware Pentax is trying to make sure we do not return our defective cameras for another new one or refund. They want to repair it not replace it and are saying 2 weeks turn around is fast service.

Hope very few others have to deal with this. My K-3ii is going back and looking at another K-3 as a back-up camera to the 1 K-3 I still have.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:10 PM   #2

I had enough of Precision Camera-I paid to have my K-iis fixed at CRIS in Arizona. They were the previous repair center for Pentax. They supposedly can't get parts but they can make adjustments-on cameras & lenses-I live in Arizona so it was handy for me-turnaround was one week. I suggest you email them if you need assistance in the future. Pentax/Ricoh needs a class in customer appreciation.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote