Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:30 AM   #1

Default K-1

Anyone have their order in yet. Personally I am not in a financial place to avail of this beauty just yet but it does seem that what it may lack in performance compared to the latest CaNikons it makes up for by showing actual innovation (something we haven't seen much of from the big boys lately).

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Anyone have their order in yet. Personally I am not in a financial place to avail of this beauty just yet but it does seem that what it may lack in performance compared to the latest CaNikons it makes up for by showing actual innovation (something we haven't seen much of from the big boys lately).
Too rich for my blood and what I do. I'm very content with my stable... so far.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:10 AM   #3

My wife and I give ourselves a monthly allowance ("sock-money", money to be stashed away in a sock in a drawer) to spend or waste on whatever we want to without asking permission from the other one. I've been saving most of mine for more than two years, to be able to buy an A* 200mm Macro. But there are nearly never any for sale and when there is one, the price is ridiculous, more so when you add EU customs fees and VAT.
So I've got the money. And then this shows up. A small evil midget sits on my shoulder whispering right in my ear: "You can buy it, you can buy it. Do it today!"
I think I can hold my horses till the first user reviews comes up, but probably there will be one in my possession before the summer ends.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:04 PM   #4

This K1 is very interesting and really at an attractive price point. It combines the 5 axis IBIS and high res mode of the Olympus OM-D E-M5 II with twice the sensor in size and MP. I'm actually surprised the high res mode didn't make it into the A7R II, but here it is in the K1 instead.

Not something I am ready for but good to see it offer a compelling set of features with Pentax's build quality it should gain a following.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:56 PM   #5

I find it very interesting that many of the innovations that the major camera makers brag about have appeared first in Pentax. Well, enough of that, I would love to get one, given the full frame lenses I own it would be a bargain, Canon, Nikon or Sony would mean starting over. My big drawing card for Pentax is not on the spec sheet, it is handling. The ergonomics of the Pentax works for me. Kjell I think I need to start the sock drawer thing, right now I am wasting money which could get me some new toys.

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:32 PM   #6

Hi Ira,

I'll be getting one, but I'll wait until some other users get theirs and give some impressions. There are always a few things that aren't obvious in the specs that show up as operational problems once users get their hands on a new camera.

I'm not one who "needs" a 24x36 format camera, but I have some ideas how this might help me with my long tele and macro shooting -- if the AF accuracy can be trusted, shooting in crop mode, I'll be able to see outside the image frame, and might gain some advantage for moving subjects.

Also, if Pentax engineers evaluation of high ISO quality is consistent with past models, then I should find ISO 51200 acceptable for ultra low light shooting (two stops under max) as I have with previous Pentax DSLRs. This will give me about a two stop advantage over the K3.

I currently have a Sony A7S for ultra low light, and will keep it because of the silent shutter capabilities, and it's a nice small body that I can use my K mount lenses with an adapter, but those are fully manual on the A7S, so that limits things, as does the EVF, even with AF lenses. The EVF is nice for some subjects, but for the majority of my shooting, it's a liability.

If the K1 comes even close to what the specs seem to promise, this body is an almost no brainer for me. It won't make me a better photographer, but it will make it easier to get some shots I want, and that makes it good for me.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:41 PM   #7

Perfectly content with my K5-IIs-but if this drives down the price of the K3-II who knows what I might do. This one is a little too rich for my wallet right now.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:07 AM   #8

I admit it's tempting. I've put the K3 bag out to take with me this week so I can try shooting with it. If I can manage it without the nerve issue I have in my elbow flaring up again I'll be really tempted. If it does flare up, then there's no point in getting it, no matter how tempted I am in the idea of a full frame.

I was very surprised that they kept the price down to a fairly manageable level - not that much more than what they introduced the past couple of cameras at. I was expecting at least $500-1000 more and so I wouldn't be tempted for a long time. But seeing the price is making it much harder to resist.

I'll be starting a long road trip in June (west coast to northern B.C. and back by way of South Dakota and perhaps Colorado), returning in September. Then perhaps Utah toward the end of October/early November. The thought of having a full frame to take some pictures of the awesome scenery is just so enticing! Though with the size of the raw files, I'd have to come up with some rugged external drives that will survive being moved around and packed either in the back of an SUV a TT. I don't think my current 5 bay RAID device would handle that well. So I would need to factor in some computer equipment, too. And potentially some updated software - got to think of that, too.

On the other hand, it would make sense to get it now, before my income goes down.

If I do decide to get it, then I would most likely sell the K3, which hasn't been used much in the past year. I'll keep the KS1, I still love the small size and weight, and it really does all I need for the most part.

Decisions, decisions!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Wow I have hardly been using my vintage K20D at all. The latest Pentax offering must have been fairly advanced electronics wise.
Glad that you are shopping for new gear.
I cannot wait to try it out to see what it is like using my FA28mm

Daniel

PS..if only it has gone back to TTL rather than PTTL, that will be icing on the cake

Last edited by danielchtong; Feb 24, 2016 at 7:28 AM.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:35 AM   #10

I have pre-ordered one with a Pentax 540FGZ II Pttl flash, 2 64GB extreme Pro SD cards and an extra battery. Should ship out at the end of April or the first part of May. Can't see how shooting with legacy lens of any type will be worse than with my K10D, my KX or my K7. From what I've read so far it should be a huge leap forward in IQ regardless of the lens used when compared to the APS-C cameras. Just my Opinion. I looked at a 645D first since the price is coming down but at 40 MP compared to 36MP on the K1 and all the features the K1 has that the 645D does not have, it was a no-brainer to go ahead and order the K1.