Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:36 PM   #1

Default Various Spots

OK, some more scenic shots with the K1, and these are all scenics. My poor camera got scraped up today but the photos I took and where I was that caused my camera to get scratched will have to wait for another day - I'm way behind in processing photos.

A stitched panorama of a pretty spot, with a boat added.

A cold spot:

A high spot (all right, not great photography but it gets the idea across).

I even walked on it, I didn't think I would. It wasn't as bad as I had thought it might be - it was overcast and a lot of glare. You could choose to look at the glare reflections instead of what was below the glass.

A famous building, but not a famous spot:

A popular spot:

A relaxing spot:

A spot for firsts (Cave and Basin, may require a google search for some to find out why it's a place of firsts/birthplace), and the shot was hand-held:

A landscape spot without a circular polarizer:

And with one:

A spot for last stands:

I haven't taken (or at least processed yet) any really good/outstanding photos. Instead I'm having fun taking lots of photos of lots of pretty places and recording a lot of nice memories. I'm sure some of you can put a name to all of these spots, except for the relaxing one. Some of you have probably been to most or all of these locations, though the high spot has only been open since 2014.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:20 PM   #2

Creative idea for a series. It took me a few moments to figure out where the "high" spot was, but I don't know if I'd be able to walk on it either. I really liked the contrast on shots, one with the circular polarizer, one without. The second just has so much more life. I have never been to any of these sites since I've never had the opportunity to visit the plains, and my California dreamin' has been limited to LaX.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:27 PM   #3

Can't say I'm necessarily California dreaming, but I am California bound now. Tonight and tomorrow night on the road (I need to drop off my sister's stuff, she bought more than she could fit in her suitcase so I'll spend a night in Vegas to return it all to her). I'll do a second spot thread with the other shots I took of my wanderings this summer that I haven't quite gotten around to editing.

My new K1 looks like it's been through the wars. I decided yesterday, without reading through the trail description, that the Corona Arch would be a nice trail - it was rated easy to moderate and was only 1.5 miles one way, easily within my capabilities. When I got there, I read through the description in the hiking book, changed into boots and grabbed a hiking pole. I am one of those people who can always find the wrong way of doing something, and in this case, I was on slick rock and thought the (correct) way looked harder than another way. I soon discovered that the way I thought was right wasn't and ended up carefully sliding down a bit of rock, with the camera getting bumped as I did it. The pristine K3 I sold to Ira looks much newer than my K1 does now. Is there somewhere to get some flat black paint to cover up the scrapes? There's no dents or anything, just paint scratches.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:26 AM   #4

You really don't know where to find flat black spray paint?

Really?

Home improvement stores. Big Box stores. Auto parts stores. Etc. Some supermarkets carry it. You've probably tripped over some flat black spray paint cans in your travels.

You'll get best results if you remove the panel that needs to be painted, and paint the whole thing, instead of trying to cover just that portion that needs it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:18 PM   #5

I was trying to avoid spray paint, not sure I can take off the bottom of the camera. I was thinking of warranty issues, but any repair service would take one look at the camera and blame whatever might be wrong on abuse. But I guess I could tape the parts of the camera I don't want painted. Or just ignore the scratches completely - I think I'm unlikely to be parting with this camera any time soon, it's been great to have on this trip.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:29 PM   #6

Hi Harriet, I would use M-NU or Black Out Emblem Refinisher which should be available at military surplus stores or online. It is used to refinish satin black emblems on military uniforms, comes in a bottle with a brush somewhat like nail polish and once completely dry is very durable.

Nice photos, sounds like a fun trip!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:37 PM   #7

Thanks, Tom. I had a great time and I'm still processing pictures - I got home Tuesday. I think I've got enough from other places up to do another series of different locations.

I've done Jasper National Park, Lake Louise, Banff, Glacier National Park and the Little Big Horn. Now to add a different state and a different location or 2 or 3.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the series Harriet, fantastic. Don't remove the "been there, done that" marks!
Simon.
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote