Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:16 PM   #1

Default More Spots

A deep spot full of boxwork (speleothem).

I thought of having a fast lens on the camera when I was in Wind Cave but ended up deciding the zoom was a better idea. The K1 and 28-105 did quite well, though the lighting was pretty dim in places.

A nearby spot for faces, taken with the K1 and the FA100-300 f4.7, a humble, lightweight lens and one that vignettes with the K1, but it's pretty sharp in the center.

An in-progress face spot:

Another deep spot, Jewel National Monument:

A spot for dying, both men and trees.

I wasn't in a creative mood, none of my photos in Deadwood were any good, but I thought this was interesting from the perspective that it was taken in a fairly dimly lit reproduction of saloon 10. I used deNoise for the noise, but I thought it was not bad, for ISO 12,800.

A spot for close encounters:

A spot named after the wearer of this coat.

And a cool drink in the spot (hotel) he built:

I've got lots more pictures that I need to go through, but I'm not so sure that they would fit into a various spot theme, though some of the locations are very famous, while others aren't (how many people have heard of Beartooth Pass?).

As you can tell, I had a very exciting summer trip.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:44 PM   #2

Great stuff, thanks.
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:19 AM   #3

NICE series Harriet

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:16 PM   #4

Thanks, I had a great trip except for being downwind of a brush fire in Yellowstone. Now just waiting on the Jeep to get washed.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:36 PM   #5

Nice series. Looks like a great trip.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Nice series. Looks like a great trip.
It was a wonderful trip. Not sure I'm all that thrilled to be home and have to try to organize my house - it's a disaster. I was so depressed about it that I just had to get away and I spent a couple of days up in Lone Pine, California. Had a great time but it didn't get anything in the house done.

I've been trying to tell myself that I shouldn't go anywhere until I have all my spare/extra stuff put away somewhere.

I'll probably post more when I finish going through the next set of photos. I'm still looking at Yellowstone pictures when I also went to Moab after that. And now I've got 3 days at Lone Pine to go through, too. Just wonder if I'll ever get caught up.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:48 PM   #7

Hi Harriet, it's great to get back home again, that means you can start planning the next trip!
Simon.
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:57 AM   #8

How funny you should mention that! Last week I spent a couple of days in Lone Pine, CA and I'm now looking at a map of Arizona, thinking about heading that direction in December perhaps. Or maybe head further east into New Mexico. I'm still in the thinking stage. I'm still working on photos I took in Yellowstone though - I'm very behind!