Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:45 AM   #1

Default Some Recent Places

Two spots I've visited recently, they are not far apart. They were taken with the K1 and FA 28-105, a very useful lens for the sight-seer.

The first sure looks desolate and monotone:

But there's color to be found in the spring, if you look for it (a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in several years, since she moved):

Another location and the last natural light for a long while, at least for me since I kept stopping to take pictures.

I had expected to have problems with camera shake for the rest of my walk, but was very happily surprised when I actually looked at my pictures on the monitor at "home" that evening - there were only a few shots with camera shake. I had a high number of keepers, which meant all that much more time trying to sort through them all!

Water is important to such a place, and the humidity was pretty high (K1 and DA15 Ltd).

There were various sizes of drip ponds around.

The formations all look so delicate (and they are):

It's hard to realize that they are made of stone:

While my walk on the dunes at White Sands National Monument was short, I had a great time and had a great time. My walk at Carlsbad Caverns was much longer as I walked in through the natural entrance, and found I was tired before I got through it all. It got quite crowded on the last leg - I was going so slowly and the afternoon crowds who came down in the elevator caught up to me. I didn't take much time toward the end. Maybe some day I'll return there, take the elevator down and spend more time on the last part of the big room.

I also visited Kartchner Caverns, a live wet cave in Arizona. They don't allow photography so no photos but I really enjoyed that, too. It's a much smaller cave than Carlsbad, and they only allow people in with a guide, but I found it fascinating, a good prep for visiting Carlsbad (and seeing the difference between growing formations and those that aren't growing - Carlsbad is mostly a dry cave now and only 1 formation is still growing).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:15 PM   #2

Great shots of some amazing sights.

Olympus E-PM1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:30 PM   #3

At first I thought the white sand was snow, and as we have a sensationally cold spring here (it snowed today!) I felt pity for you (even though I know that you for some strange reason actually enjoy snow). Then I realised that the "snow" is sand, and started thingking it must be really hot!
Anyway the pictures are very nice, and the cavern really looks like something beyond the everyday experience.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:54 PM   #4

Thanks, Ira and Kjell. It is pretty warm where I am at the moment, 84F. I think I'd rather be in the snow, but then it's always nice to have variety. I'm waiting on a part for my awning, I hope it will be here in a couple of days, and then I will be heading east again. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying a pretty part of New Mexico.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:15 PM   #5

Nice job on the cave shots, I like them all

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:14 PM   #6

Thanks, Hans! I was surprised at how well the SR works on the K1, also that the noise wasn't all that bad at 10,000 ISO. It's hard to remember the days when 1600 would get my teeth grinding!

My part came in and I'll probably be heading out again on Sunday - the weather looks fiercer than I would like in the area I'm going to be driving through, so I'll wait a couple of extra days.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:27 PM   #7

I'm not going to make it to East Tennessee, unfortunately. I picked up a cold somewhere along the like so have been taking it easy near the Smokies. I've taken lots of pictures but they reflect the fact I'm not feeling very good. Maybe they will look better to me in a couple of days.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:19 PM   #8

G'day Harriet

Love 'em all - esp the caves images ~ the top half of image 1 looks very mysterious without the walkway underneath!

You mention 'shake' and that gets me too. I overcome this a lot by also going to 'continuous' mode, whereby image 1 might be lost from button-press shake, but images 2-3-4 come out 'real beaut'. Using this method I have done 1/4sec images with 500mm of lens in use.
Might be something for another time

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 4:10 AM   #9

Hope you're feeling better, and that we see some of your recent photos.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote