Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1

I recently purchased the *ist DS for many reasons, including that it's compatible with the lenses for my Pentax film camera. However, the flash I have for my old camera doesn't work on the *ist DS.

Do I need to look for some sort of special mount? I know there are a few flashes made by Pentax that'll work, but they seem a little pricey. (Are they worth the extra $$ over generic?)

I would like to use the flash to do some macro photography as well as some aquarium photos. Is there some sort ofcable of adapter I can use so the flash doesn't have to be directly on my hot shoe?
jesterDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:38 AM   #2

I have been looking at the Pentax AF360FGZ and the Sigma EF500SuperDG. At dpreview there is a long thread in the discussion forum about the Sigma being used with the DS. The Sigma is more powerful than the Pentax 360 and both can work as a wireless slave so you can shoot withthem off the hot shoe.

The DS, however, apparently will not fire the slave without the camera flash also going off. A major disappointment to some of the posters on that forum since the D has this capability and the DS does not. In my opinion, an inch of electrical tape may take care of the dissappointment pretty quickly! It is amazing to me how super creative folks can be with their photographic talents, but sometimes they miss a bit of creativity with normal houshold supplies.

Dan Eggert
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:52 PM   #3

I've been using Pentax flashes for many years and they've stood up well. Currently, I use a AF330FTZ and a AF500FTZ, depending upon just what I'm shooting. I've found the AF500FTZ to be ideal for the istD - even when using a Pentax Fish-Eye Zoom 17-28mm. The coverage works well.

As to the price, no one said you have to buy new equipment. There is a lot of high quality used equipment around, and the AF500FTZ is a workhorse.

Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote