Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:03 AM   #11

Yes, I agree that 172 pics is low, but given the temperatures I was using the camera I can tell that my Olympus C730uz would have gobbled a fresh set as well.

One other point to make is that if I charge my NiMH AA's and toss them in the bag and have them available for when they are needed, the life is poorer than taking them from the charger and placing them in the camera. These little pups must leak the charge at a pretty good rate just sitting on the shelf!

dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:31 PM   #12

I was outside today in 30 degree weather with my new DS and rechargeable Ni-MH batteries. After about an hour, the batteries were dead from the cold. I know lithium batteries hold up much better in the cold weather, but i don't like the idea of using disposables. Have anyone been brave enought to try rechargeable CR-v3's in their DS yet? Do any companies list the DS as approved for their batteries? Is there such a thing as rechargeable AA lithiums?
Ron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:08 PM   #13

I have just bought a *istDS and have been having battery problems. When I first put in what I thought were a fully charged NiMH set I got a half-charge message and about two shots. I used some alkalines while another set of NiMH were charging, got about 10 shots. NiMH fully charged now, and then three shots later, almost gone. Something not right here, don't know what it is. Will try the same batteries in my trusty Olympus 3020 to see what's up there.
RonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:46 PM   #14

Perhaps the *ist DS isn't very good at measuring the charge in batteries. Just the other day I was about to take some photos. The gauge showed they were fully charged. Two shots and they were done.

I had been using the batteries for a while, so I was more surprised how long they last. These were disposables, but the NiMH sound like the way to go.
jesterDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:05 AM   #15

The other thing to check with batteries is the cleanliness of the contacts - both on the camera and the batteries themselves. Try giving both ends of the batteries a wipe with a clean cloth. Be very careful if you decide to clean the contacts in the camera too. I have found this helps with battery life in the camera, and also helps with charging the batteries.

Rechargable batteries do eventually wear out too -even if only one of the four you put in the camera is no good you will see the behaviour you are describing. How do the batteries behave in other gadgets? Better still if you have a battery tester, test each one before and after they have been in the camera, might help you work out if only one is dying...

Nimh batteries do loose charge quite quickly in storage, make sure they arefreshly charged. Store them so that they don't come in contact with other metal objects (this includes other batteries), if you accidentally connect both ends of a battery together it will short out, go flat and maybe not want to charge again.... I keep mine in pairs in tiny ziplock bags (just big enough to hold a CRV) - no way they can short out then.

Good luck!

leok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:45 AM   #16

Nickel Cadmium batteries are not recommended for the *istDs.

They have a fundamnetal problem in that their outpout voltage is less than most other common types.

As others have suggested the newer Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMh) are very suitable.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:35 PM   #17

NiMH batteries work very well for me. I can get over 300 shots on a fully charged set. They do tend to run down quickly when stored. I have a set of 15 min. batteries in addition to the regular ones. I charge one set overnight, and then in the morning before I go, I charge the 15 min set.

Works fine for me.

I did once have to use alkaline batteries. They work fine, but run down fast. Don't recommend them.

I'm very glad it's not a proprietary battery.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:44 AM   #18

Well I must tell I'm rather disapointed about the battery life with my brand new DS too,a set of 2100 NiMH just kept about 25 pictures (without flash and without AF). My son uses the same set with his Fuji S5500 and it is good for about 300 pictures. Hard to believe that the 2500 will make that difference or am I wrong?

Regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:21 PM   #19

From discussions over at dpreviewforums Ifound outthat the Ds is very specific when it comes to battery voltage. Too high or too low is simply not recommended and would usually give a falso battery level reading. Also, the quality of the battery charger matters more than than the MaH rating (2000,2100,2500 almost the same performance). So, for rechargeable AAs or RCRV3s, check voltage and get a good quality charger(preferrably one withindividual battery monitors). I'm currently using a Sanyo charger (my third one) and it does trickle charging and performs better than my first two ones.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:42 AM   #20

I have some NiMH 2400mHas.. Im sure they are 1.2 volts but i cannot remember the brand (its not a big name brand)

I can manage to easily shoot several 1GB SD cards and the display still telling me the batteries are full - This is with using autofocus too.

Ive got 12 of these batteries and rarely have to charge them.

Although i found long exposures tend to run down fairly quickly
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote