Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2005, 3:49 PM   #11

Cameta Camera in Amityville, NY. Just got my DS there last Friday (I've had it one week). Purchased via BIN on that auction site for $685, body only. Ordered Wednesday, it arrived on Friday, just like they said (2-day UPS). I have dealt with them in person before, they have a real bricks-n-morter store. I bought a used Minolta SRT-101 from them years ago. I usually buy from B&H, in this case, the cost savings was too much to pass up. Oh, Cameta is authorized Pentax USA dealer, no grey market stuff. Full disclosure - I have no connection to Cameta, B&H, that auction site, or Bill Clinton. Just my experience.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Wiggy

Wigwam Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:07 PM   #12

I just picked up some lenses from my neighbor!

I've got the excuse I've been looking for to buy an ist!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buydig, Butterfly, Abe's all have the bod for ~$625. Very close to what you've seen.

I believe I've done business with them all, and some have thousands of reveiws.

Standby for lot's of Q's from a SLR newb in a few weeks!

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:35 PM   #13

I faced a similar scenario recently. The reviews on all the super-low priced ones like Butterfly, Buydig, Smile, Beach .. etc, indicated having to deal with a "confirmation" call AFTER purchase .. basically a sales pitch to try to get you to order overpriced accessories. You can tell that it's true when you scroll through the page and see battery chargers for $99, 512 SD cards for $150, etc .. it's BS!

I can recommend "Flashpoint Cameras" on eBay (same as 17th Photo) and they have been hassle-free, no pitch or gimmick for $689 for the body. This is still an excellent price imho!

Good luck!
zerotonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:53 PM   #14

Well I purchased my DS from Butterfly Photo and had a extremely good experience with them. No high pressure and very fast shipping with a very low price, so I would recommend them as a potential place to do business with.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:33 PM   #15

Good site to check out merchants.
prevost is offline   Reply With Quote