Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:53 AM   #1

I know what DoF is but I am having the hardest time understanding and making the adjustments with the istD.

I found it a lot easier with the SP and ME - too many buttons and things to remember on the istD - must be getting old(er).

Anyway, know of any tutorials or sites specific to the istD which might help?

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:29 AM   #2

Not much to know. Higher f-stops (smaller apeture) will give maximum depth of field - defined as the area of acceptable sharpness. Widest apetures have very shallow depth of fields - like when you take a photo of a flower, the flower is in focus and the background is all blurry. Anything outside the depth of field will not be focused.

The depth of field preview is your friend. When you mount a lens, it is opened to the widest apeture to give the most light to the viewfinder. Clicking DOF prievew will stop the lens down to what ever apeture is set (use Av or M mode to do this). It will allow you to see what is focused etc in the view finder before taking the picture (although it will get darker as you stop it down to the smaller apetures because there is less light)

Hope this helps, anyone here can answer more specific questions, but what exactly dont you understand - i can give a more specific answer
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:54 PM   #3

From what I know (very little), DOF is lens-specific. Anyway, here's a link to a luminous landscape article that might help. It contains a link to a free software download to compute DOF.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote