Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:47 AM   #1

Hi guys, quick question for you. I'm currently still on film cameras (have pentax ME super and MZ 50) but am saving up for a D SLR. I'm torn between the usual choices of the *ist, Nikon D70/s and canon 350. I would love to be loyal to pentax (although i have a compact canon digital camera which i do love!) and get the ist but one thing bothers me, apparently the viewfinder is only 95% accurate. Is this true? does this not slightly go against the idea of a SLR camera?!! does anyone find this a problem. All ideas on this subject welcome and any comments about which camera to chose also welcome

Thanks, Eddie
teddyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:14 PM   #2

95% of the actual surface area is probably pretty good compared to many camera and the actual image quality in the *ist DS is the best I've ever seen in any camera....ever.
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:25 PM   #3

I have the istD and haven't had problems. I did remain loyal but there is no reason for that.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 4:49 PM   #4

Maybe you mean 95% view coverage? The Pentax IMO has the best viewfinder of the lot (check the specs of the D70 and the XT). I think it's the only one to use the pentaprism for its viewfinder.Your other choices (and the latest Pentax *istDL) use a pentamirror which, I have read, is not as bright as the pentaprism.

Assuming you already own some nice Pentax lenses, the Pentax would be your most logical choice.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

Exactly - youve got all your pentax lenses. Unless you are loaded, stick with pentax :-)
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:01 AM   #6

as nols said!!
the ist has the best view finder of the lot , by far!! read the reviews..
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:48 PM   #7

It's really very simple. Determine what length and aperture lens you want to use for your comparison. Go to the store. Mount the same type of lens on each camera you are evaluating. Frame and take the exact same shot with each. You'll quickly learn how the viewfinders compare as to accuracy. Buy the one that performs best and feels most comfortable for you.

This is a Pentax forum. I've performed this easy test. I went home with an *istD.
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote