Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:53 PM   #1

Whats the difference btwn pentamirror and pentaprism?
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:30 PM   #2
KSV

Pentaprizm is original design aka in traditional SLR and uses "full reflection" law to give bright image.It is solid piece of glass with cut corners in particular way.Disadvantages - bulky, heavy and cost more to produce. Pentamirror is number of mirrors glued together to mimic pentaprizm. Lighter and much cheaper in production, but give dim "tunnel-like" viewfinder. Go to shop, pick camera with pentamirror (f.e. 350D) and with pentaprizm (f.e. *istDS) and see difference by yourself. If one use exclusively autofocus then pentamirror will do the job, but brighter and bigger pentaprizm viewfinder really helps a lot with manual focus.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:41 AM   #3

ditto
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:37 AM   #4

It is the difference between me purchasing an istDS ( Pentaprism) and not buying ( ie Nikon D70)

Dave
Choderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5

The attached link gives some good information on the subject. The DS has .95 magnification and .95 coverage which is quite good for the price!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...wfinders.shtml
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:59 PM   #6

Hi,

I was very curious about this matter so off I went to the local camera shop and compared the Pentax ist DS w/ kit lens (pentaprism) and the Nikon D50 (pentamirror) w/ 18-70mm lens.

And you know what, the Nikon D50's viewfinder was actually BRIGHTER than the Pentax DS's, which was a bit of a surprise . But the Pentax DS's viewfinder was slightly larger. So overall both had good viewfinders and I prefer the Nikon D50's viewfinder slightly just because it was a bit brighter. I think you should have a look at both it's very close. And make sure both are Power ON, set to the AUTO PIC setting mode and with no DOF engage (which I had though happen on the Pentax but was confirmed with the Sales guy, the DOF preview was indeed off!)
Jobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:05 PM   #7

Just my IMHO: but I think which ever way is the cheapest to make the cameras is what all the manfacturers will move to eventually.

I may be cynical but I believe it is all about maximizing profits anymore, quality is an accident.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:23 PM   #8
KSV

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
I may be cynical but I believe it is all about maximizing profits anymore, quality is an accident.
Unfortunately IMHO you absolutely right they produce cheap stuff cheaper everyday. But hey, this is what herd like to buy! Sad.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:38 PM   #9

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Just my IMHO: but I think which ever way is the cheapest to make the cameras is what all the manfacturers will move to eventually.

Peter.

Well, they make one with a more straight forward veiwfinder, but it's more expensive ....

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote