Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:57 AM   #1

Hey there people,

I have been driving myself CRAZY in an attempt to make an educated decision on what type of DSLR to purchase. For my price range, I narrowed it down to the Nikon D70(s), Canon 350D, and the Pentax *ist DS.

After weeks of research, I am 98% sure I will be a new Pentax *ist DS owner by this weekend. I'm very excited.

Here is my inquiry. A large portion of my shots will consist of photo shoots (portraits, glamour) taking place inside a studio, or room with controlled/artificial light, as well as utilizing the available light.

Is the Pentax *ist DS capable of handlingthisform of photography? I am blown away at the quality of pictures I've seen in this forum, but I haven't seen too manyportrait shots, glamour.

Any onecare to sharetheir comments or pics?

:angry: konceptz
konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:18 AM   #2

i have no experience with this but.....
if the canon and nikon can do it then the pentax can too!!!!
it's really your choice. which ever one that fits YOUR hands and style i would assume.

good luck with whatever you choose.

Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:52 PM   #3

Don't know much about studio lighting, but for natural light, get yourself a 50mm/1.4 prime and you're set. It also helps that the Ds also gives virtually noiseless pics at ISO 800.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:18 AM   #4

A very good feature of istDS is manual white balance. It lows you to point to a white material and tell the camera "this is white".

So I can safely use alternative lights. In fact I have set up my garage studio with a number of work lights. I made my soft box simply by hanging a thin white cloth in front of the work lights. I am pretty happy with the results.

Be aware, however, I am only a learner (who may be easily satisfied).

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote