Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:06 PM   #1

I am interested in adding a macro lens to my camera outfit. Which ones would the fine people on this site recommend. I have the Pentax ist ds. Also, I am interested in a wide angle lens.

Any help would be great.
Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:05 AM   #2

pentax has a 100mm f2.8 that is suppose to be VERY nice but i haven't seen anything done w/it. also the sigma105mm f2.8 is a REALLY sharp lens and i've seen plenty w/it to prove the point. the tamron 90mm f2.8 is also one of the sharpest around. all of the above focus to about a foot at a 1:1 ratio. all of the above also have 50mm also. they'll focus to about 7'' away. sigma also has1 150mm(very fine) and a 180mm. hope you have some deep pockets for the later tho. most of the 100s can be had on ebay usually for $200+ or retail for about $450.. i've got a smc-m 100mm f4 i'm going to list soon as i'm lookig at the sigma. i'll probably get it this month.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:33 AM   #3

I took delivery of the Sigma 100 2.8 EX Macro today. I'll post about this when I get back from vacation. The one thing I can say right now is that the fit and finish is very high quality.
67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:41 PM   #4

The Sigma 105/2.8 I have is great. It is (slightly) sharper (according to Photodo.com) than the Pentax-Fa 100/2.8, but (slightly)less sharp thanthe Pentax-F. I doubt anyone can see the differences among the three in actual images, though - they are all great. The Sigma is incredible at any distance, actually, and can be hand held for things other than really close macro work. I bought the Sigma new, at the same or less than the Pentax bring used on ebay. Kinda clinched it for me! I'd recommend trying to get something in the 90 - 105 range, as opposed to 50mm macro.
dwcinga is offline   Reply With Quote