Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:54 AM   #1

I've been trying to find out more about the new DS2 recently announced. Apart from the Pentax press release there seems little detail although it was supposed to be released this month. As far as I can see the only difference Pentax are admitting to is the increase in the screen from 2 to 2.5 inch.

I wonder what else is new or improved to justify the new model and in particular whether Pentax have addressed some of the problems of the DS that have held its ratings down in all the magazines I've read (in UK), for example having the meter selection way down in the menus.

Does anyone have anything to tell about the new model?

dollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:58 AM   #2

I believe that the continuous focusing feature will be available in all or most modes, (TV, Av,and P)instead of only in the Moving Object mode. They've also reportedly improved the default jpeg performance.

derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:35 PM   #3

I liked the *istDS, the DS2 just adds the extra punch to sell it to me. I am glad to see that Pentax has found the way, like their great models of the past. Mike Johnston described the DS as the digital K1000, by making incremental improvements but keeping the basic simplicity intact Pentax is proving that he is probably right.

The *istD is a great camera with some annoying flaws, the *ist DS fixed most of them while simplifying the form, the *istDL cuts corners to cut price and the *istDS2 makes old Pentax owners like myself reach for their checkbooks.

The real cost of buying a DSLR comes later as you build a set of lenses, this camera allows those of us with old Pentax lenses a low cost step up to a quality DSLR.

And it offers continuous focus to...

BTW I was ready to buy a good EVF such as the excellent Fuji S9000 until this camera's pricing was released.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote