Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:16 PM   #21

Monza76 wrote:

The DA kit lens is not a better lens then the FA lenses you have, BUT with your present lenses you will not have the wide angle end covered. That is the advantage of the 18-55mm kit lens, with your lenses the 35mm will act like a 53mm, not wide at all, but your 320mm will give the angle of view of a 480mm.

Do not get the idea that the DA lenses are better, you have good lenses there, the only DA lens I own is the kit 18-55mm lens, and that is only because it is a very cost effective way to get a wide angle lens. I have no intentions of purchasing any other DA lenses.The FA glass will still work on your film camera while the DA lens will vignette the corners badly on theses cameras. There arehowever two nice thingsabout the DA 18-55mm, it does not rotate the front element so it is perfect for use with a circular polarizer (the opening in the bottom of the lens hood is a very nice touch) and secondly the fact that you can manually turn the focus ring even when the camera is in AF mode (great for fine tuning).

Get the 18-55 and either camera, DS, DS2 or even DL, and you will find your lenses will be the perfect complement, creating a range from 18-320mm.

BTW here is what I keep in my camera bag:
1- SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 - came with my DL, covers the wide angle end and works great with a polarizer.
2- SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.7 - great "portrait" lens for dSLR
3- SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm f3.5/5.6- this was myfirst AF lens, rather slow at the long end, this is the "silver" finish lens to match the MZ-7
4- Sigma 70-210mm UC ZOOM f:4-5.6 - my second AF lens, also slow but very compact, and quite sharp.

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the help Ira!!! I really appreciate all the help you guys give out here! I'm glad I found these boards!!!!!

Thanks again!!!
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:24 AM   #22

I second what Ira said -- the kit DA 18-55mm is well worth its low price in order to get reasonable wide-angle capability.

Rritter, keep your ME-Super lenses! Like robar, I use my old M-series lenses all the time (SMCP-M 50mm f1.4 and SMCP-M 75-150mm f4) on my DS2...kudos to Pentax for keeping so much backward compatibility.

dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:08 AM   #23

I just got mine today - with a Sigma 18-125mm
Just trying to figure out all the controls....:?
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:51 AM   #24

Just play and play and play..:lol:

I just played with it for a few hours and got familiar with different buttons and so forth, then re-read the manual and tried different things based on the manual.

Personally I use the manual settings and maybe once in a while I will use the auto,

I haven't worked it all out yet, but it seems to be working for me.:|
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote