Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1

Welcome to the brag thread, since the response to my original postseems positive, here is my list of current items:

My Lowepro Nova 5 now holds:
My flash kit -
-old Vivitar 285 flash with remote sensor
-Stroboframe flash bracket
-Sekonic L-308 FlashMate light meter
My "spare" film backup -
-MZ-7 film body
-Takumar-F 70-200mm f4-5.6 - for portraits, the 9 blade aperture makes for a very pleasing bokeh, and some indoor events in larger venues. Flare is fairly well controlled for a non-SMC lens and it is much sharper than reports I had read lead me to believe.

MyStorage unit (4 drawer plastic cheapie in the closet)now holds:
The KX for the times when I need to get back to basics, along with:
My old lenses -
-Samyang 500mm f8mirror lens, T-mount with K adapter (just for fun)
-Chinon 200mm f3.5 M42 mount with adaptor.
-Rikenon 135mm f2.8, My only "fast" telephoto -
-Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.7 with Cokin holder and 2 shades
-Rikenon 28mm f2.8 with Cokin holder and 1 shade
-Pentax SMC-A 70-210mm f4, a great macro zoom.
-numerous filters (which are seldom used), the Cokin holders actuallymount the big square lens hoods which are quite effective which is my main reason for still using them, only a couple of grad filters and a linear polarizer (for MF lenses only)are actually used, and I hope to get an ND or two.

My Lowepro Microtrekker backpack contains:
-My *istDL
-DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 - general photography, indoor work
-FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 - general photography, outdoor "walk-around" lens
-FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 - wildlife, outdoor sports events, anything that requires reach. Like the Takumar, this lens did not have a good reputation as a film lens but the smaller sensor falls into the "sweet-spot" to make it a quite passable digital lens.
-Takumar-A 2X teleconverter, actually now a 26mm extension tube, I took the glass out.
-52mm circular polarizer for the DA 18-55mm (the other zooms have rotating front elements so polarizers are a hassle)
-77mm circular polarizer for the Sigma 24-135mm (the other zooms have rotating front elements so polarizers are a hassle)
-Refconverter - right angle finder modified to fit the DL
-Quick release mount that fits my Slik tripod and Vanguard monopod.
-The Slik tripod, in its own bag, is usually strapped to the bottom of the backpack.

My Optex Zoom Toploader Bag contains:
-My *istDL when I want to travel light
-Sigma ZOOM 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 -My real "walk-around" lens, big and heavy but fast (aperture) and flexible. This lens covers the same focal lengths that my Fuji S7000 did.

My small Optex bag contains:
Our slave strobes,
- two OPUS OPL-M40 strobes with sockets and cords.
- an old Braun manual flash with power cord, slave and pocket tripod which acts as a background light.
The light stands, Umbrellas, and extension cords are carried in a Rage brand scooter bag.

My past Pentax and Ricoh cameras include two K1000s, an ME Super with power winder and a Ricoh XR-2. Gave my Minolta Maxxum 7000 with 19-35mm Cosina, 35-70mm f4 Maxxum, and 70-210mm f4 Maxxum (crossed X model) with the AF2800 flash to my oldest son (I know this isn't Pentax but it is a brand, and model,worthy of respect). My other Maxxum, a 5000, with 50mm f1.7 lens is used occasionally by my youngest son.

I also have a zoom slidecopier in T-mount, unfortunately the crop factor of my DL does not allow me to capture an entire slide so I have to crop carefully in the viewfinder.

As you can see my kit is modest in cost but extensive in focal lengths covered for the price. My recommendation is simple, the newer lighter 100-300mm FA f4.7-5.8 is a decent performer and has given me great results (it is also dirt cheap on ebay). Also, when you get the focus right, the old MF lenses with f1.7 and f2.8 apertures are sharper than any zoom I have ever owned (except maybe that old Maxxum 35-70mm f4). I don't like the MF lenses unless I have plenty of time to get the focus right or there is enough light that I can use this trick. My old eyes don't allow me to focus as accurately as I would like to see.

Ultimate lazy man's lens, a 28mm f2.8 MF lens.... set the aperture and focus for hyperfocal distance, put camera on manual and then just press the AE-L button to set exposure. As long as the light doesn't change you can snap away with no AF delay and sharp results. The added bonus is that you get the DOF of a 28mm but the coverage of a 42mm normal lens.

Someday I will update these pictures.

Attached Images
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:48 AM   #2

Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pentax-M 200mm f4

Both got for next to nothing.

Use Sigma 18-50 kit lens for a walkaround, have the 55-200 Sigma which I no long use since getting the 200/4.

For macro, the reversing ring with a 28mm f/2.8 or a old Rikenon 50mm f/2, with an extenstion tube between the ring and the reversed lens for that extra close up goodness.
Also have a Tamron-SP adaptall 35-80mm macro which I rarely use as it needs a service.

The other camera in the bag is a Ricoh XR-1 loaded with Velvia 100 at the moment. Oops not pentax
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:25 AM   #3

I believe Ricoh XR-1 is close enough to Pentax for most of us!

I will post a list later when I have the time to go through it.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4

I started accumulating this gear in 1968.

Bodies (with appropriate grips/winders):

- Spotmatic

- KX

- MX

- SuperProgram

- Z-1

- *ist D

- K10D

- Soligor 3.5 200mm (42)

- Soligor 2.8 135mm (42)

- Pentax SMC 1.4 50mm (42)

- Soligor 2.8 35mm (42)

- Vivitar 2.8 28mm (42)

- Pentax SMC 2.0 55mm (K)

- Tamron 3.5-4.2 35-210mm (KA)

- Vivitar 4-4.5 17-28mm (KA)

- Pentax F 2.8 100mm Macro

- Pentax F 2.8 85mm Soft

- Pentax SMC DA 3.5-5.6 18-55mm

- Pentax SMC DA 4-5.6 50-200mm

- Pentax FA 4.5-5.6 80-320mm

- Pentax FA 4.5-5.6 100-300mm

- Pentax F 4.7-5.6 80-200mm

- Pentax FA 4.5-5.6 28-105mm

- Pentax FA 4.0 20-35mm

- Pentax Fisheye 3.5-4.5 17-28mm

With the Pentax adapter, I've never felt the need to "upgrade" to K mount primes.

- 2x Soligor (42)

- 2x Focal MC (K)

- 1.5x Kenko (K)

- 1.7x Pentax F AF Adapter

Kenko Fish-Eye Converter 0.16x

Mirror Angle Scope

Extension Tubes

- No Name Screwmount

- Kenko Automatic AF

Standard compliment of lens filters, hoods and other minor accessories

Flash Units:

- Vivitar 285

- Vivitar 5200

- Pentax AF330FTZ

- Pentax AF500FTZ

- Pentax AF540FGZ

Stratos SI-1035 Flash Bracket and appropriate hot-shoe adapters

Pentax Spotmeter V ZONE VI Modified

Tiltall StarD Professional Tripod

Manfrotto Monopod 680B with Manfrotto Swivel Tilt Head and Quick Release

Carrying Bags

- Tamrac Lens-Bridge 895

- Tamrac Holster Zoom Pack 517

- Tamrac Tripod Bag 326

- Pentax SLR Holster Case

- Pentax Accessory Bag

- Lowepro Nova 5AW

- Lowepro Sideline Shooter

- Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW

- Domke PhoTOGS Vest

Larry in Dallas

Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:18 PM   #5

I'll play

Pentax ME
Pentax AF-16
Pentax M-50MM 1.7
Pentax M-28MM 3.5
Pentax M 200 F4

Pentax IstDs
Sigma EF500 DG ST Flash
Kit 18-55
Pentax FA 50MM 1.4
Penatx FA 28-105 F3.2-4.5
Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 2:58 PM   #6

Mine's a much more modest list, and 3 of my lenses are on loan with a ZX-M body (niece taking a photography class, equipment loaned before I had even thought about getting a dSLR, and I have no idea how fast 2 of the lenses are).

However, I'll soon own the Pentax 50-200 lens - ordered it today!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:20 PM   #7

Very modest setup compared to some of these others:

Pentax *ist DL body
Pentax 18-55 Kit Lens
SMC-Pentax-M 50/1.7

Thats it

Would like to add the 24-90 - seems a better range for what I shoot, but would also like something faster -like the Sigma 24-70 2.8. I like the new 70mm Pancake announced, I think that would rock!
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:03 PM   #8

I started in 1985. For a 6 months assignment in Nicaragua I felt I had to bring a camera. To find my brand and what was important for me I borrowed cameras from anyone in sight, and it cooked down to Olympus or Pentax, for size and ergonomics. A well-informed friend recommended Pentax for the K-mounts sake, and so I bought a Program A (Program Plus) with a 35-70 f4 kit lens. My friend said that I would need two bodies, for BW and colour slide film, but I found that idea snobbish and ridiculous.

After a few weeks in Nicaragua I realised how right he had been, so after coming back to Sweden i bought a second Program A. As I had started following a local rock-group on their gigs i needed a fast lens and bought a smc-a* 85 mm f1.4 with the body. I couldn't afford it, but with a little help from my friends... (worked for months to pay them back)

Then came marriage, children and responsibilities. The cameras spent more time on the shelf than "at work" during too many years.

A happy accident blew new energy into the hobby. One of the bodies was destroyed on a trip to Bogota, but the insurance covered it so well I could buy a used Super A (Super Program) with a bunch of accessories and lenses on a local auction site on the Internet. And so I found this well of affordable want-to-haves.

As the cost for film development started to digholes inthe family budget, my wife suggested it was time for me to go digital. Ooooh – do I love that woman?

So today my bag contains this (all Pentax):

Program A/Program PlusHas served me well, now retired on the shelf.

Super A/Super Program Only used it for a short time before I went digital, but I like it. If I ever need to shoot with film, this is the one I'll use. Compared to the later AF models, this is genuine and all metal. And no pop-up flash!

*istDS No need to comment on that in this Forum!

smc-a 35-70 f4 Worn and torn, needs a service treatment but was good as new.

smc-f 70-210 f4-5,6 Recently bought off e-bay. For travelling, I don't want to bring my A*-lenses to places like Bogota and Johannesburg, where they are likely to be stolen.

smc-da 16-45 mm f4 I bought it as a kit lens with the DS body, believeing it was a little more genuine than the 18-55. Must admit I'm a bit disappointed. Very "plastic" and loosely assembled, distortion at the edges annoying. After all it's not a fish-eye lens.

smc-fa 50 mm f1.4 My latest (last?) purchase. I'm very satisfied so far, not at all as "plastic" as I feared.

smc-a* 85 mm f1.4 A dream. Ill treated and beaten, the painting is worn. But optically and mechanically it is as on day one (1986).

smc-m 100 mm f4 MacroGot it with the Super A body. A nice lens I haven't used much so far.

smc-a*200 mm f2,8 Another dream, bigger brother of the 85 mm.Found it at bargain price on a local site, condition "as new".

smc-a* 600 mm f5,6Who needs such a lens? Who needs a Ferrari? But when Bojidar Dimitrov says you get the offer to buy one "once in a lifetime" and this is in your lifetime? And that lovely woman says "yes"?

smc-a 2XS Teleconverter.Very, very good. Little degradation, especially when compared to 3rd-party alternatives. An e-bay bargain from Germany. I use it with the 200 mm and the 600 mm lenses.

AF280T flash

Vivitar extension tubes.I don't know if it is possible to make extension tubes of poor quality, at least these are quite OK. But I haven't used them a lot,got them with the Super A body.

A bunch of non-Pentax lenses and other accessories, mostly of poorer quality, that came "in the parcel" when I bought something more interesting.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:12 PM   #9

Also a modest rig, though I notice a trend that many of us participating have an M-series 50mm!
  • *ist DS2 [/*]
  • DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 [/*]
  • SMCP-M 28mm f2.8 [/*]
  • SMCP-M 50mm f1.4 [/*]
  • SMCP-M 75-150mm f4 [/*]
  • MX film body (loaded with Kodak Max 400, at the moment...) [/*]
  • Broken Spotmatic with 55mm f2.0 Takumar [/*]
  • And just for fun, I'll list my Argus C-3 andArgus C-4 :lol:
I've had the MX and the M-series lenses for about 24 years, so I'm a big fan of Pentax's backward compatibility!

* * New addition for Father's Day: FA 80-320mm, used from KEH. Very nice lens!

dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:21 PM   #10

Hey Dan, I have an Argus C3 as well!!

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote