Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:52 AM   #1

Hi, I'm considering becoming a noob, and purchasing an ist DS soon. That is unless anybody here wants to talk me out of it. I'd like to hear any peeves the Pentaxs have caused anyone.

I had quite a bit of experience with 35mm when I was younger, wanted to shoot for National Geographic (or Playboy) but life got busy, yada yada.... So here I am retired and wanting to start anew. Hopefullythe technology won't turn my hair gray. I'm hoping for a camera that easy to learn on, and will let me go fully manual with the flick of a switch. I think it will take a while for me to trust all the automatic features. Any input is appreciated,.

Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:10 AM   #2

Nope, no problems in the 13 months ive had my DS.

If i where you id wait it out for the newer model though
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:28 AM   #3

I don't like my *istDS.... I love it . (with apologies to 10cc)
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:09 AM   #4

Can't speak for the DS but the DL is very easy to learn. Well thought out camera and controls. You shouldn't go any grayer learning your camera.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:56 AM   #5

Have use a Nikon D70s and Canon 20D and I still have my DS and no intentions of going with either C or N.

I would expect you will have quite a time finding a new DS and may have to go with a DS2 instead.

My DS focuses perfectly in AF and MF, and in good light I never have to tweak the colors or exposure on my images.

No C or N envy here!

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:31 PM   #6

I've only had my DS for a couple of months and I love it. Absolutely no regrets, which I did have when I purchased a Panasonic FZ30 in December (and sold amonth later to buy the DS, what I SHOULD have bought in the first place). I did have some learning curve, but not as badly as I had thought I would. The funny thing is that this past weekend I took my problematic F717 (very beloved for 3 years until it started having problems) out with the DS to see how they compare taking snow pictures. It took me a while to figure out how to use a camera that used to be second nature to me. I'll stick with the Pentax - it (not unexpectedly) was better than the Sony, something I can't say for the Panasonic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:43 PM   #7

As someone has already stated in this forum - all the DSLRs in the market deliver high quality pictures. What wasthe deciding factorfor me was
  • compatibility with the Pentax lenses I already owned, andwhich had proven their quality under pretty harsh conditions.
  • size and ergonomics. I think that N&C are like shoe-boxes in compairson.
So far I haven't had a full second of regrets.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:48 PM   #8

I agree with "philneast"

I LOVE My DS. But then I am Biased. I have been Shooting with a pentax since the 70's. I personally have had no Issues with mine at all.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:01 PM   #9

can't understand why any of these folks love this POS. maybe it's the lensecompatibility with over 4 decades of lenses, ergonomics, great image quality. or maybe it's ease of use. think i'm going with a kodak... lol

Attached Images
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:19 PM   #10

Did you really think you'd find many people with buyer's remorse on this list? Anyone who had buyer's remorse should have sold it and walked away from the list.

Loved my *ist D from the time I first handled it. Maybe that's the reason for the decades old slogan "Just Hold a Pentax."

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote