Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:14 PM   #11

Likely because of the bright light in a mall, this is typically FA50mm 1.4. At 60s/f4/1600. I could have set it around 800iso at f2 with entirely different result.

Attached Images
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:29 PM   #12

Honda Accords are made in Ohio, Nissan SUV's are made in Kentucky!

The 50mm 1.4 is a great lens in all forms, M, A, F or FA, as well as the 50mm 1.7 lenses made by Pentax.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:53 PM   #13

I don't know if it's still true or not but when they first came out a couple of years ago, the Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix were made on the same assembly line (at different times).

I definitely like that old 50mm 1.7 that was the lens that came with my ME 25 years ago. An "oldie-but-goodie."
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:18 PM   #14

General motors, who own Saab in Sweden and much of Subaru in Japan, now sell a Subaru Impreza wagon as a Saab with just a new front facia and grill, so a Japanese car is sold in America as Swedish??? And yes mtngal the Vibe and the Matrix are indeed the same under the skin, and last years Saturn Vue V6 had the heart of a Honda Pilot, the list goes on.

My lenses come from Japan (Pentax), Korea (Samyang), Taiwan (Pentax) and Vietnam (Pentax). The only difference I can find is that the older lenses (regardless of origin) seemed to be mechanically superior, but not necessarily optically superior. My worst Pentax made lens was the Takumar-A 28-80mm f3.5-4.5, it was made in Japan. One of my best lenses (results speak louder than reviews) is the FA SMC100-300mm f4.7-5.8 which was made in Taiwan. The two Samyangs I own are mechanically excellent and optically decent (find a better buy in a 500mm mirror lens if you can) but coatings are not that good as the Pentax lenses and contrast is therefore a little lower.

My sharpest lens, by far, is a Pentax (Japan)SMC 50mm f1.7 M (mtngal, mine came with an ME Super). My Rikenon (Japan)135mm f2.8 is also very sharp but shows lots of CA.

We live in a world economy where components for almost any complex device are sourced out from all over, the facts of life in the 21st century.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote