Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1

I am lookingfor 49mm UV Filters for PENTAX SMC TAKUMAR M42 Lenses - f/3.5 28mm and f/3.5 135mm.

I want to get PENTAX brand UV filters for the lenses, but I can find only used one from eBay for around $10. The seller said it is in excellent condition.

1. Is there any shop that I can buy brand new PENTAX uv filter?

2. Is it OK to buy a USED skylight filter? Someone told me that coatin will fade out as aging.

3. Someone recommended me to get Multi Coated B+W which is priced from$19 to $50 atB&H. Is it worth to buy B+W?

4. How about Hoya or Tiffen. They are vary in price depend on the coating. Which one are you currently using?

Thanks in advance. ^^

submarine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 12:20 PM   #2

I'm using a Hoya Pro 1-D Filter with my Pentax 18-55mm DA lens, which, from the tests that I carried out, did slightly reduce lens flare.

On my Pentax 50-200mm DA lens, its a 'bog standard' type - not even multi coated.

Having paid £30 forthe Pro 1-Dfilter, I'm not convinced that it's really worth the extra over theHoya HMC at half the price.

Personnally, I wouldn't worry about whether it's a Pentax, Hoya or whatever as long as the lens is protected with a decent filter.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3

i use the hoya HMC filters in the ,i think, silver case. i've had good luch with them and i don't have to cut a leg off to pay for them. about 17us in 49mm. i highly recommend these sellers..
Old May 19, 2006, 6:19 PM   #4
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Several years ago I purchased several 49mm filters from Ritz Camera. They were sold under the Quantary brand name, but they are made for Ritz by a name brand manufacturer. They were reasonably priced and met all my expectations!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 10:18 AM   #5

i'll add to the mix.... i use mostly hoyas both the hmc and one (i think) smc.

im(nsh)o they are exellent quality and good value for the money. i don't think i'd get b+w filters unless the value of the rest of my outfit justified their much higher price.

i've dealt with www.2filter.comand would highly recommend them also.

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 3:08 PM   #6

that's why i use the HMC. it's a middle of the pack hoya.. i can'tsee it when it's mounted unlike a couple i got on lenses like vivitar , access, and sunpac.