Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1

HELP. Either I am jinxed when it comes to digital cameras or I am doing someting wrong. First the sceen on my Fuji finepix went funny, by that I meananypicture I took had broken lines across it like the very old TV pictures. Then the screen went completely black and no image was shown either on the camera's playback or when I viewed the pics. on the computer. I took it apart, cleaned it and.. no difference. So, I bought a new camera a Pentax s30 and the same thing has happened although this time there was no 'broken picture' stage, the screen suddenly became black. When first switched on, an image shows and then the screen goes blank as if there is nobattery power but I can still view pictures with the play back (tho' anything I take is of blackness') and I can use all the functions so I am presuming the problem is not with the battery which shows up as being full. I'm at a loss. The camera is out of guarentee so any ideas gratefully appreciated as I can at least have a go before sending it off somewhere. Very frustrating. What am I doing wrong? :?

Many thanks,

charadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 5:27 PM   #2

welcome to the forum but you will probably get more help in the other non-dslr pentax forum..
Old May 25, 2006, 6:12 PM   #3

May i Suggest that if you have not Done so already, Check your manuel.
What it sounds like to Me is this. On most Point and Shots cameras, you have the option of using the LCD or view finder. So the LCD may be turned off by default.
The other possibility is that the LCD is timed to save on batterys. It will show the picture just for a few seconds then Go black to save power.

Hopes this helps

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 11:03 PM   #4

Some P&S cameras will not display the LCD image if the battery is very low. Buy a Pentax DSLR and we can give you better advice.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 2:55 AM   #5

Thanks people. I have posted my message on the correct forum. As for the LCD being off, I haven't knowingly switched it off and wouldn't now be able to change the seting given that the camera doen't stay on for long enough. I'll see what advice the other forum throws back at me.

charadel is offline   Reply With Quote