Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 29, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1

As a long standing fan of Pentax cameras and lenses, having grown up with an MX, which still takes beautiful pictures, I finally took the plunge and purchased a DL2 which happened to come bundled with the 18-55 and 50-200 'kit' lenses. I can only say that it is a joy to use, and playinng with raw images is a revalation.

Most of my time is spent taking wildlife shots, generally birds, but I'm open to all sorts, and I find myself wanting something slightly longer, and am torn between sticking with proprietary Pentax lenses or trying those from third party manufacturers such as Sigma and Tamron. I must also admit to being inspired by some of the great macro shots that have been put up, and would quite like to try that as well.

Needless to say money will also play a large part in any choice that I eventually make, but I thought I ask those of you out there who have clearly been using the Pentax digital offerings a lot longer than I have what their suggestions for a suitable additional lens might be. My instintcts are towards another zoom, but I'd love to know what the rest of you would suggest I consider.

dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2006, 11:36 AM   #2

you pretty much have the zoom range covered. but if you want another then sigma has a 170-500mm and either tokina or tamron have a 80-400. neither are very fast tho. for a 300mm NOTHING beat the smc-FA*300mm. all three of these will probably only cost your little toe on the left leg..

Old May 29, 2006, 6:57 PM   #3

Hi dms25

I agree with Robar. You already have a great zoom Lense. If you buy another Zoom Its kinda a waste of a good lense. You Could look at the Pentax 100-300 F4.7-5.8
Or as robar Sugested get a FA300.
I have had great luck with My Sigma 70-300 DG Macro, But Again you are overlapping Coverage
You are in a Tough Spot

Hope this helps.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:11 PM   #4

i've got a sigma 70-300APO for sell if you are interested. it's a good lens and offers a 1:2 macro range as well. 105USD delivered in the states.