Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 31, 2006, 7:14 AM   #1

These white-tail deer just love to munch on hosta! Took acouple of shots through the window and then slowly opened the door and walked up to her. These are shot at 55 mm with standard lens and then cropped and resized for posting. Hope my Sigma 24-135 arrives back soon, it would make quite a difference for this type of shot.
Attached Images
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 9:32 AM   #2

Good shot -- clear and sharp -- and I really like the juxtaposition of the deer and the flamingo lawn ornament!

dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 4:31 PM   #3

nice shot mike. is this your yard?? if so, i'll bet you have trouble keeping a flower bed and garden.

Old May 31, 2006, 4:48 PM   #4

You are absolutely right, Roy. My wife is a great gardenerand nature lover, but there were some $%^&* tonight as some of the prize hostas were targets (why eat the common varieties?). Last year the deer polished off the tomatoes before they could ripen ... we had 3-4 from 12 plants! This year, the boss says we are making green tomato chutney before the deer get the tomatoes :-)

Mind you, I find ithard to get too upset with these beautiful creatures ... especially since my latest eBay purchase arrived (80-320 Pentax). I now need some willing models for head and shoulder pics.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 7:45 PM   #5

That 80-320mm is a very nice lens, a friend of mine has one, much better built than my 100-300mm f4.7-5.8. Ditto on the backyard, beautiful place. My compliments to the gardner.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:00 PM   #6

Lovely! I know what you mean about the deer - we don't have deer at the house very often. Instead we have squirrels (California Grey Squirrels - they are all grey and I have yet to get a decent picture of one) and Steller Jays. That grape vine I have is a sweet grape but I rarely get any - as soon as they ripen the jays will strip them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:42 PM   #7

I hate to say it (in your case, of course) but NICE SHOT! I have been trying to get a picture of a deer as nice as that! Sorry to hear about your hostas though. My wife would a little aggravated as well! Just wanted to let you know that I've read in a Farmer's Almanac that there are natural deterrents that can be used on deer. I think human hair is one maybe ... like go to your local barber & ask to sweep up for them :lol:... anyway try farmersalmanac.com/articles/pests.html to see if that helps with your gardening woes but keep the deer close for your photo hobby!

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote