Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:53 PM   #11

You guys got my curiosity up, so I've been researching these flowers. According to a Web site hosted by Michigan State University, Orange Hawkweed is also known the northern tier states as the Devil's Paintbrush or Indian Paintbrush. It may be here in Missouri, but I don't think I've ever seen it in the wild. I think I have seen it in a few gardens.  It's considered a weed in the northwest and other places.The Indian Paintbrush we have here is a different plant, in fact it is the state flower of Wyoming. It's other names are Red Indian Paintbrush, Cliff Paintbrush and a few others. In  Missouri and Kansas, we see this plant in prairie environments.Still both beautiful flowers and beautiful butterfly pictures.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:04 AM   #12

Remember the elk/moose issue? Thats why Linné invented the scientific naming, using latin and greek. Allowing scientists to communicate worldwide and knowing that they are talking of the same species.

But I like the local language names more, since they often convey a message from the past. And they do provoke some interesting discussion on forums like this! Vive la différence!

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 2:44 PM   #13

The Orange Hawkweed/Indian Paintbrush here opens up wide when the sun is out, but even when the sun goes behind the clouds it closes up and then the only thing that shows of color is a orange tip sticking out of the green enclosure that looks just like a brush with orange paint in it.

My wife considers them a weed, but to me they are butterfly bait.

Sorry, no photos I am in Ohio and don't see any here.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote