Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:47 PM   #11

Colour-management in a digital workflow is a huge and potentially frustrating subject. Have a look at this sitefor a start.

Some of the basic issues to be aware of are:

Colour spaces. The options are basically sRGB and adobeRGB. As others have remarked, adobeRGB has a potential for capturing more colour nuances, especially in green areas. To take advantages of this, you need a photoeditor which can handle colour spaces (such as Photoshop) AND you need to tell the program how you want it to handle colourspaces.

However, since most home inkjet printers wont be able to reproduce these nuances anyway, and since sRGB is the only available colourspace on the web, this is mostly relevant for those who regularly have their photos professionally printed.

In fact, if you shoot and edit in adobeRGB, you should always convert to sRGB before publishing to the web - or your photos might end up looking less vibrant when seen in a non-colourspace-aware webbrowser.

Since I see most of my pictures on the screen and my prints are done on my home inkjet, I have decided to use sRGB.

Colour profiles. These are the information, stored as ICM-files, that lets colour travel without changes between different types of equipment, such as screens and printers - at least theoretically....

Finally, its of paramount importance that your monitor is calibrated. If not, you will basically be in complete wilderness as to what is actually "correct" colours. The Adobe Gamma and other visual aids are better than nothing. However, hardware calibarting tools has become much cheaper lately. I can recommend the Pantone Huey.

My advice would be to start with getting your own screen colours right - this is the firm ground, from which you can start tinkering with the rest, such as colours on print or on the web.

lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:59 PM   #12

Thanks for the information and advice Lars. I'll have a look at the site you recommend and try to move forward from there ...

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote