Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1

Hello all;

How often do you get prints made? Do you notice that the prints are better or worse than what you see on your monitor?

I seldom get prints made as I am usually dissatisfied with my photos except in rare cases. The colours don't seem as vibrant as they should....

BUT! I purchased a 37" LCD TV with some of my income tax refund, and I just now hooked up my computer (1024x768). The images are stunning to say the least. The colours even on untouched photos are alive and vibrant and precisely what I saw by eye when I took the photo. Details just leap off the screen.

I never knew I was this good! I never knew my DS2 was this good!

Back to the original question: how do prints look? As I said, I seldom get them made.

Regards, Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:51 PM   #2

hey rich,
i do my own printing. guess i have about 50 of either 8x10 or 7x11. if someone wants one i have a local lab print it.. 4x6---never.

Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:31 PM   #3

Albums full of 4X6, a throw back from 35mm film. I have printed a few 8X10 and 11X14 through a lab. I often print 8X10 and 5X7 at home on matte paper.

I find the prints from the lab always look fantastic.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:40 AM   #4

Rich, I get 4X6 print made from lab quite often and they usually look fantastic (even when they were taken with 1.5 MP, providethe orginalare good, of course). Personally, I rather get the lab do it than print it out with a photo quality inkjet printer. I found the grains from the lab prints are much finer than from the injet printer and cheaper too.

As with flim camera, you get different quality result from different labs. I had made a test by sending the same picture files to 4 different labs and the result are all different ( in terms of colour and contrast ), so you have be carefully to find a good lab.

In this digital age, sometimes, I still like the feel of holding a picture or an albumin my hands to look at, guess I'm from old shool.

bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:25 AM   #5

since getting my pentax i've been printing almost all 8x10's (well really something like 10.6x7, just resizing to fit letter size). i use inexpensive presentation folders that have clear sleeves and a semi-transparent cover so you can see the first pic. lots more punch than showing small prints but i've had to become much more selective since at that size or larger any focus deficiencies or missed dust spots etc really show up.

i use an hp psc 2175 and the cheapest hp everyday paper, but set the paper type to hp premium plus with a slight reduction in ink (to dry faster but also save $$) which gives practically as good quality. prints to be framed as gifts or whatever are on the premium plus because it's nice and heavy.

usually i print a couple every time i download off my card (maybe once a week). i realized one day that i had lots of images, some of which were even not half bad, but i was the only one who ever saw them (well maybelight dawned on Marble Head when my wife said in the tone us guys will recognize, "you never print any pictures for any body to see!!") she still doesn't like my "arty" ones (any thing really close up or posterized etc) but oh well.

when i want a nice large print for the wall the lab in town does fine. dreaming of a large format printer with individual colour cartridges and maybe several blacks. :G

remember that prints will never really look like a photo on a tv or computer screen ( or projected also) where you're seeing light instead of pigments. it helps if you can think of printing as only part of the process, making several test prints until you've got it right (this is where the cheaper paper helps). my brother fills his own ink cartridges and that saves a bit too.

i'm with bright eyes concerning albums, it's just nice to leaf through an album or folder filled with the ones that didn't get away.

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:16 PM   #6

I get prints of about 1/6th of my pics in 4x6 from costco, no need for bigger. They all look really good.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7

I print them myself using an Epson 2100 Inkjet printer, I take most images in RAW format using an *ist DL.

Hope summer is bringing good photographs to one and all.

electric-soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:18 PM   #8

I've printed like 4 pictures so far and I had the camera for almost 4 months now. I've shot close to 1,000 pictures so far.

I keep everything on my computer. With me, there is really no point for me to print it because I dont have anyone to share it with besides my friends online.

The pictures that I've printed are all large print at costco. The 12x18 that I printed came out pretty nice.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:23 PM   #9

I rarely print my pictures. Most of the time the ones I like I reduce to the pixel dimension of my computer monitor and then take them to work. They are my screen saver at work, and a number of my co-workers have commented about them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:54 AM   #10

Since we are on this topic I have a question. When I get prints from the local Walmart I find that the contrast is far greater than I expected in some cases. Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing images for printing from these minilabs? The flower image from another post:

came out with the green of the bud almost black.

Any suggestions welcome.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote