Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1

I'm always amazed that many people do not recognize the Pentax brand name in cameras. I guess I'm old enough to remember when Pentax was one of the most desirableSLR cameras.So it got me to thinking about the range of ages of the poeple on this list. I expect there is a fairly good representation across the board, but who's willing to fess up to their "experience"?

I'm 56 ...

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2

I am 24, I been intrested in photography for about 6 months now. I own the Pentax DS. Even though I only started to pay attention to the details, I always knew about the pentax brand since early my early days of high school. I had a friend who was really into photography and he was a Canon biggit always tried to talk smack to my other friend who liked Nikon and Pentax.

I would have to agree that not many people know about pentax as a name. I work at the electronics department in costco which part of my job is to sell camera. I had a few members who picked up the camera and asked if "Pentax was good for being off brand".
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3

I'm 54. I grew up in a house with its own B&W darkroom--my father was an avid photographer. He worked for Honeywell and bought a Spotmatic from the company store in the early 60s, so that's when I became aware of the brand. I never really got to use his Spotmatic, but he did give me his old Argus C3 when he got the Pentax/Honeywell camera.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:09 PM   #4

I bought my first Pentax, a Spotmatic, in Viet Nam in 1968 and have stayed with the brand for all these years. I went from a Spotmatic, to a LX, to a PZ-1P, to a MZ-5n, to a MZ-S and now a DS. That doesn't mention the MF Pentax equipment I have with the 645n and 67 systems.

I stayed with Pentax because of their wonderful glass and great metering systems, and even the early AF cameras like the PZ-1P focused very fast. The glass is still great, the cameras are still small, the meters are still great, but the AF suffers a bit in the newer versions, especially the DSLR's.

I was 26 when I bought my first Pentax and have not had Canon or Nikon envy ever, even though some of my friends have very high end versions of each brand. My images are as good as theirs on a regular basis and many times superior, so why would I want to take a step down and leave Pentax?

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5

holy crap! I feel intimidated all of a sudden..

I'm 19. The *ist DL is my first Pentax.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:23 PM   #6

I bought my first camera Back In the 70's the Pentax K1000. A few years later I traded that in and got the ME. I have been using that until the Late 90's When i got my first Digital. Just last year i took the plunge in the DSLR. I love my DS, best thing i ever Did
Anyway, i will be 52 in several months

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:06 PM   #7

I'm 38 ... I bought my 1st pentax in the late 80's after my older brother recommended it since he had his for years prior. In 2002, I bought a zx-7 & in 2004, I bought another from Ebay for a backup (just to keep B&W film in). Then last December, I bought my 1st digital... an *ist-dl. Since then, I sold the 1st zx-7 to my sister but I've had to keep the 2nd one just because!

Good subject!

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:59 PM   #8

I am the wrong side of 50 (50+ or is it the right side!!!!).

My first contact with Pentax was when I started working at an Art College back in 1976, the college had about 15 K1000's for student and staff use.

The one thing that struck me at the time was that the poser's with there Canons and Nikons, often would sign out a K1000 as well before going on a shoot, often coming back having used the Pentax more, sometimes even exclusevly. I had a high respect for this cameras superb usability and toughness, anything that can survive student use, has got to be tough.

I finally got my own K1000 in 1980, and was quite happy with it until I went digital about 5 years ago. At that time Pentax was one of the top three brand name slr's in the U.K. and highly thought of.
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:20 PM   #9

Bought my first Pentax, a SpotmaticII in the early 70's and used it up until I went digital about 4 years ago. I bought a Fuji F602Z, which was a very good prosumer camera for its day, but I had to get back to an SLR since I had all that good oldTakumar glass. I bought a DL this Spring and it's been wonderful to shoot with an SLR again. I'll be 60 this year - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:50 PM   #10

I'm 41, have had pentax film cameras before, many years ago, think I was in my late twenties to early thirties.

My current camera of course is the Pentax *ist DL2 and I LOVE it!

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote