Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:22 AM   #1

What a joy...my new DL.

The question I have is what color space should one set on the DL (in custom settings)?

The default is SRGB. Many who perform post processing especially with Photoshop suggest one use the adobe colorspace. Some of the tutorials suggest the same. If one uses the Adobe colorspace, then one has to also calibrate the monitor with the same profile. If you don't do this, you will see either washed out pictures or pictures that are dark. The claim is that the adobe colorspace offers more colors (?) then SRGB. Is this for all practical purposes academic?

I am looking for thoughts on this issue.
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:30 AM   #2

With Adobe PS, you should calibrate your screen anyway regardless of color space to ensure accurate color representation. From whatI read, Adobe Color space is better than sRGB. But, when you have to save the photo out for sharing or Photo lab printing as JPEG, you have to convert it to sRGB. So you may not see all the benifit of Adobe color space except from your own (calibrated) PC monitor.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:31 AM   #3

I have been in printing(prepress) over 20 years and my experience has shown that AdobeRGB is much better for conversion to the printing standard, CMYK. My personal experience is that sRGB is better for photolab and home printing(epson and canon inkjets). In fact, my monitor at home is closer to my print output that my monitor at work to our high end proofers. I think that I am just lucky at this momment with the combination of equipment, because previous home systems were nowhere near as close. Hope my input has helped.

jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote