Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:35 PM   #11

Yes, one of the joys of using film lenses on a DSLR is you only use the sweet spot of the lens, the center and not the edges that many times get somewhat soft.

I still am at a point that I want a f/stop ring on my lenses, since my kit lens does not function properlly on my MZ-S.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:48 PM   #12

The only DSLR lens I own is the 18-55mm DA kit lens (hard to beat the price, film lenses shorter than 24mm can get very pricey). It is also the only lens I have without an aperture ring. The fact that only the centre of the film lenses' coverage circle is used does have a significant impact on image quality. Two of my lenses, the FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 and the FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 are mediocre at best on film cameras. Light falloff and soft corners make them lenses to avoid, however on my DL these lenses come alive. The 100-300 has become my favourite lens, especially at the 300mm mark where it is a very nice flower lens, (the avatar picture was taken with the 28-80).

I will stick with picking up older F and FA lenses, simply because they offer more bang for the buck, and avoid FA-J and DA lenses mainly because they cannot be used with my ol KX. The new DA series lenses have proved themselves to be excellent quality, but I still may want to shoot a roll of film now and then.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:07 AM   #13

cool, thanks for the responses! i'm happy to know i'm actually understanding all the concepts i'm learning, and the pentax dl is an awesome camera so far! maybe i'll end up passing the body onto my wife and picking up thek10d if its nice, whenever that comes out!

edit: i have no idea why i mentioned the k10d, just a sporadic thought :?
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote