Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:41 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I've been researching digital cameras for the better part of the past year, immersing myself in information !!!!!!AD NAUSEUM!!!!! and have decided on an entry level dslr.

Initially I was interested in the extended zoom prosumer, but as I watched a few defect from both of the 2 main camps, it confirmed for me what I already knew in my gut, that I didin't really think I would be happy with image quality. They fit my budget and were pretty darn good cameras, yet............. :roll:

Now to my main question here. I am looking for opinions on differences between the ds2 and dl2 (other than the fact I thought I'd be more interested in the focus system on the ds2 but can't seem to find it anywhere on the web) I did aQUICK search through the threads here at the pentax forum but didn't find what I was looking for on comparisons.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated.

Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:43 PM   #2

The DS2 and DL2 are shown as "no longer available" on most search websites. The same is true for ebay*. Thus, your choice remains: DS, DL, or K100D. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

* The only Pentax DL2 cameras you will find in the USA are on ebay and they come from Japan equipped with a guarantee that is honored only in Japan. They are priced near or above the current market price of the DL. So, IMHO, they are not something that I am going to jump at right away.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:21 AM   #3

One difference is that the DS features a pentaprism viewfinder, while the DL just has a pentamirror. Pentaprisms supposedly allow much more light to be visible in the viewfinder, allowing for a brighter viewfinder.

The DS also has 11 auto-focus sensors compared to 3 on the DL.

The DS has a larger buffer than the DL, so you can take more continuous shots.

On the other hand, the DL has the advantage of a larger LCD screen (2.5" vs 2.0"). The DL is slightly lighter than the DS, by about 30g. The DL is also cheaper.

I was in the same boat as you, deciding between the two models. In the end, I chose the DL, mainly for cost; however I am extremely pleased with my purchase.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:24 AM   #4

Thank you, Sarah and Illuminati., Hehehehe, it is helpful to be studying the available models. And Illuminati, I agree the bottom line is how pleased you are and how much you enjoy your camera, and sounds like I couldn't go wrong either way. I'm green with envy, you are shooting and I am not.. lol

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5

Hi Maw,

There is one more distinction that may or may not make a difference. The DS is TTL and P-TTL flash compatible whereas the DL is only P-TTL compatible. This might make any price differential less appealing as P-TTL flashes can be considerably more expensive, and there are far fewer choices.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you plan on using an external flash or not. I was a die-hard available light shooter -- until I found out how great flash photography can be with a flexible unit.

If you're interested, the difference between TTL and P-TTL is that TTL directly meters the exposure (off reflection from the sensor) with an additional sensor in the lightbox and only uses a single flash, while P-TTL uses a preflash to set the metering using the regular metering sensor, then flashes again for the exposure. Many users find that this double flash causes "lazy eye" or closed eyes in shots of people who have a quick blink response. TTL can be a little quirky in certain situations, exposure-wise since a sensor reflects light differently than film, but a little experimentation will reveal when and how you need to adjust for it.

There are also a lot of TTL flashes out there -- many which can be had (especially used) for considerably less than $100 US (many of which are Pro quality and originally sold for $200-400). A basic P-TTL flash -- the Sigma EF DG 500ST P-TTL will cost @ $135, and is about the least expensive external flash fully compatible with the DL. The best are the new Pentax AF540 FGZ and the Sigma EF DG 500 SG Super at @$320 and $230 respectively. The capabilities of the latter two dwarf the economy model. There are currently no P-TTL compatible ring flashes available at all.

TTL flashes let you get your feet wet for a lot less money, and doing so can open up a whole new world of ways to spend more money on your hobby. The advanced features of the high-end flashes provide considerable lighting opportunities and options that give you additional flexibility in your photography.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:47 AM   #6

One more thing you Might want To Consider. Next month Pentax will Be introducing New Cameras, The K100d and the K110D. The k100d Adds Shake reduction. This If i understand it Correctly Will add about One F stop In low light Situations.
Nice thing is It is in body, so the SR will work with any lense

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:34 PM   #7

Thanks for all the helpful imformation!!! Wow you guysREALLY ROCKhere at the pentax forum. .

snostorm: I didn't know the difference on ttl and p-ttl, but certainly will be exploring the use of flashes. Thanks.

Black Knight: I checked out the available information on the K100d. Certainly worth taking a serious look at. I'm leaning towards the *ist ds but the bottom line on my choice will be determined on my budget next month :-).

Thanks again everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:30 AM   #8

Good luck finding a DS, although there may be some hitting the market used when the K100D comes out next month.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:39 AM   #9

If I were you, I'd wait for the new model coming out. It's bound to be in the stores in the next few days my local store has told me. Then if you don't like it, as Tom said, there are bound to be d's and ds's coming on to the used market at that time and will be probably found at a good price. If you can't wait, go for the ds or dl-both are very adequate bodies.......cheers.......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:49 AM   #10

I looked at a DL and a DS and I found focusing manual lenses better on the DS.

In the end I bought neither as I bought a Samsung GX-1S, which is a rebadged DS2 (larger LCD screen than DS)
It came with the 18-55 and the 50-200 lenses for the same price as a DS with just the 1 lens. It has all the other advantages of the DS over the DL

chenick is offline   Reply With Quote