Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:01 PM   #1

I am what you would refer to as an enthaustic armature, getting back into the hobby. Moving from a Spotmatic SPII and a Canon SD500 looking to acquire a Pentax K100D - with the body auto stabilization. I am getting ready to retire and to travel extensively (going to the Baltic next July) - just returned from Alaska and the Mexican Rivera. Looking to cruise the Panama Cannel, Cape Horn, New Zealand, ... (until my wife tosses me overboard).
  • Outside of the possible lenses that may come with the package (suggestions there, gladly accepted) what older Pentax lenses would be worth wild acquiring?[/*]
  • Are there some Pentax "classic" lenses that have proven to be "must haves"? [/*]
  • Also, are there some lenses that just did not work and to stay away from?[/*]
Thank you very much!!!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:31 PM   #2

for a medium zoom the A70-210 is really hard to beat. also it's a constant f4 thru out it's range and very sharp. it's big and heavy tho. also there is the M80-200 f4.5 that's a lot smaller and lighter but is a tad, just a tad, softer( i've got a mint one thats going to ebay soon).. for auto focus the fa28-105 f3.2-? is a good walk around lens.. for onboard people shots pick up just about any smc-50mm faster than f2 and you have a winner. just about all the older primes are good lenses.

Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:12 PM   #3

As I previously suggested, get the kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm which is very small and light, making it a excellent travelling lens. Beyond that I like the Pentax FA 28-80mm, the Pentax 80-200mm, the Pentax FA 70-210mm (but it is larger and measurably heavier) and the Vivitar 70-210mm F 2.8 - F 4.0 (light and fairly small)which I use for indoor existing light shots where I need a telephoto. If you want greater reach, at an inexpensive price, the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens is hard to beat.

However, for starters, get comfortable with the K100D, using the kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens. Then after 500 or more shots, analyze your photos and see where you want to fill in the lens gaps. There is no need to hurry.

I have also included a Hermitage Museum photo for you.

Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote