Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:55 PM   #11

sarah, maybe it's my moniter but this pic is horrible.. about the worse i've seen posted. purple , blue, cyan is WAY over saturated.. don't take it personal but if i were going by this image for the purchase of a lens i'd avoid the lens like the plague.. the squirrel looks like that advertisement of the blue guys advertising for what was it, intel or the p4..
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:56 PM   #12

and magenta too....
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:22 PM   #13

I will try to get out a better copy, thatb is from an older file.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:07 AM   #14

Don't hold anything back Roy!!

I know this is just another kick at the cat but I must say that the "budget" Pentax lenses, such as the DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, the FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 and the FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 are surprisingly good on the digital bodies. Maybe this is because the smaller digital sensor stays within the central "sweet spot" of the lens. I must say that some of my best images have come from that 100-300, and this is a model so cheap it has a plastic mount (which is far more unusual for Pentax, Canon and Nikon use plastic for many of their budget lenses but Pentax seldom did, and correct me if I am wrong, the current Pentax DA lineup all have metal mounts).

Here is one example, hand held at 300mm and minimum focus distance:

BTW I paid about $70 for this lens. I have some high quality older MF lenses that I use occasionally (my focus skills aren't what they used to be). And the much maligned Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 (I happened upon one that actually worked) which is on the camera most often because of its excellent range.

Sarah, what did happen to that poor squirrel? Roy may be a little blunt (understatement) but he is correct about the colours.:-)

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:39 AM   #15

The great thing about Pentax is, as long as you dont mind not having autofocus you can get some excellent old prime lenses for cheap. I have yet to pay more than $100 for a lens and as long as you buy Pentax lenses you should be fine. My favorite is an SMC-M 50mm f/1.4 although you might want to look for an A version as they have more compatability with the Pentax DSLRs. The 50s become a great portrait lens. I'm not sure about zooms or autofocus lenses because I never use them. If you want to try buying used lenses check out KEH rather than ebay as they rate their lenses and you are pretty much safe buying a lens in any condition besides ugly(I bought one in ugly condition and was satisfied, but I've heard some people did, in fact, get an ugly lens before).
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote