Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:16 AM   #1

Hi All

Thanks to the help of you guys onthis forum and the reviews, I recently purchased the DL. I must say, what an awesome piece of equipment. Especially if your last camera was a 4MP, 4xDigital Point and shoot. It's like seeing for the first time useing the DL.

The adivce I need howerver is on lenses. Currently I have the kit lense (18-55DA). Since I'm still learning and still trying to understand all the F stop etc etc terminology and specs for what I require of a lense it's rather daunting trying to decide on a lens

For now I'm interested in the DA 50-200 which seems to be a good choice at this point in time for me, looking at other threads. My question is, how does this lens compare with that of the FA-J 75-300 F4.5-5.8? :?

This lens is of course not specific to the DL as the DA series and looking at the information from Pentax,it seems I will be getting the same results as the DA 50-200 which is the equivalent - if I understand it correctly. My problem lies with cost and availbility. The FA-J is lmost half the price here locally (South Africa) and seems to be more readily available for some strange reason. Do I save up of the DA and wait for stock, or take the FA-J, save time and money and potentially have a lens that's not that good?

Apologies for the long post, but any advice will be great! :G

Thanks, Heff.

Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:14 AM   #2

Hi and welcome Heff!

I've been waiting quite some time for a South African to show up on this forum, even though I live at the other pole. I've been to your country nearly every year since '94, mostly to EC and WC. The only town I have visited that can compete with CT in beauty is Stockholm. What part of town do you live in?

Sorry I can't help you with your question, I haven't had any of the leses. But they are not equal, the focal length of them are what it says on both (check this thread for focal length equiv.: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...540382#p540382

Again, welcome Africa!

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:35 AM   #3

Hi, Thanks!

I'll go have a look at the thread you mention. The focal length you mentioned does ring some bells and should then answer the question!

I'm working in Stellenbosch (mmm wine country :-)), about 45min drive from CT. Live in the Kraaifontein area to be closer to work.

But yeah, CT is a beautiful place! I've lived in other parts of the country (Johannesurg& Durban) and nothing competes. Unfortunelty I don't travel much (yet) but hope to see Stockholm too! Hey, maybe we'll bump into each other here in CT one day

Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:34 PM   #4

Welcome to the Pentax DSLR forum. It is a friendly group and were all here to help each other. I am the Lesson author of the Flash Thread. We don't guarantee that you will learn every single thing about flash, but it is also a good place to ask flash questions as well.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote