Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:27 AM   #1

I recently found out about a guy here in Perth who is a professional photographer and uses Pentax for his work.

I haven't seen any of his work and have only been given a website address that does not appear to be up and running yet.

I was advised that this guy has travelled the word doing his job with his Pentax DIGITAL...Nice to hear Looking forward to seeighis work.

http://www.templedog.com.au/

In the mean time I found this guy who uses Pentax Film and Digital for his and seems to have been dpin git for a while.

http://www.robertstech.com/photo.htm

Does anyone know of any other Professional Photographers that use Pentax??

UPDATE: I just exchanged a couple of emails with TempleDog and his website will be up in about 48hrs and definately is a Pentax user.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:09 AM   #2

I know 2 that use Pentax Film Professionaly, but none digital.

I am the only person that I have come across that makes "some" money using Pentax DSLR in Sydney.

It won't be for long though, All my gear is up for sale

But on to bigger things I suppose (Canon 5D)
brasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:14 AM   #3

my old mate Bob uses Pentax as far as i know
http://www.boblitchfield.com/

he is a stickler for quality
i doubt he would of regressed to a lesser brand
lol
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:24 AM   #4

Could have been a Completely different world if a camera like this was actually sold back when it was designed, rather than being shelved because the Phillips sensors was not up to spec.

I am hoping the new K1D will be similar to this unreleased version.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:56 AM   #5

I think you could probably find lots of professional photographers in Australia or Great Britian who use Pentax, however North America seems to be the domain of Nikon and Canon. Higher incomes equal more expensive (but not necessarily better) equipment. Field photojournalists and sport photographers also need the ruggedness and high capture rates offered only by high end pro equipment, a market Pentax has not yet ventured into with DSLRs.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:05 AM   #6
TDN

Yes I'm afraid that Belgium is Nikonland aswell.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen a single photgrapher (even amateur) with a Pentax DSLR, besides the guy I bought my DL from.

I am really looking forward to the K1D & K10D aswell. Where did you get those pictures btw crash?

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7

TDN,

Unfortunately the pictures Crashman was showing are of the stillborn DSLR Pentax was first working on. Ithad a full frame sensor from Phillips that was also used by Contax in their DSLR. The chip did not live up to performance expectations and came in way over budget. Contax built a few cameras that actually made it to customers, Pentax wisely chose to shelve the project.

If you are familiar with Pentax film cameras you will recognize the MZ-S top plate, this was based on the top Pentax model of the time. Now if Pentax could dust off this old shell, fill it with modern electronics and find an appropriate full frame sensor it sure would make an interesting alternative to the mid range (or even pro range) models from the big two.

Ira
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:27 AM   #8

Here's my thought on the subject matter.

Last week I was covering a province-wide baseball championship. The local newspaper part of the CanWest media empire didn't send anyone to the event until the second-last day.

When he did find his way to the diamond he was carrying these 2 humangous N lenses but you know what I think - he didn't own that equipment - the paper did. Within an hour of the final the organisers ask ME to send the Team picture of the winning team out to British Columbia for the nationals, on the way to the World Series.

Right after that, I sent an Ottawa paper a photo from the game with authorisation to print and offered them more but 2 days later, rather than print something for free they printed a syndicated photo.

So, just exactly what makes a professional (other than earning a living from it) - does owning your own lenses count?

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:09 PM   #9

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
So, just exactly what makes a professional (other than earning a living from it) - does owning your own lenses count?

I would say that amateurs own more lenses than professionals. To keep overhead costs down a professional may often rent what he needs, and often cameras and lenses are owned by the employer in the case of staff photographers.

What truly makes a professional photographer is an argument that will never be settled.

Ira
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:11 PM   #10
TDN

Well, it shouldn't be regarded as a "title", youknow.

I think what crash meant was just photographers that make a living taking photographs, and therefore often need top of the line gear.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote