Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:12 PM   #11

Dr. C wrote:
Thanks for beginning this thread, Ira. Very helpful information.

Regards, Lawrence
I think those of us who tend to research a lot also need to share our results. I have been asking so many questions to everyone I know who has studio lighting, and the results are very enlightening.

Now for one more installment. (BTW, I will be editing posts in this thread rather than bumping it up to the top all the time, there is a very limited audience for this topic so I don't want it getting in the way. Those who are interested just check back regularly)

Using the flash meter -
The flash meter has two operating modes, with cord to fire flash (the "pc" cord) or cordless. First set the ISO and the shutter speed on the meter. In cord mode you simple connect the trigger cord from your flash to the meterput the meter where your subject will be, lumisphere in place, aim it at the camera lens and press the button. Your meter will now display the correct aperture. Cordless mode simple means the meter waits until it sees a flash to set the aperture value (very handy if you are using a hot shoe mounted flash with or without slave units). Pretty simple isn't it? The most basic modes always are.

In metering a multi flash setup it is a good idea to start by metering each flash separately to achieve the same f-stop value, then move or adjust the individual units to get the lighting ratio you want. Simple "assembly line" portraits, like school pictures, often use two strobes at equal value to produce even lighting. To test the photographer will meter each light individually and then meter the par in order to achieve equal values (usually about f11 so that minor focus errors will not impact the quality of the final prints). Well, enough said about that, there is a forum dealing with lighting.

Other than answering questions, if I can, that pretty much covers the basics and http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...s/meters.shtmldoes a better job than I can of explaining the value of an incident meter.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote