Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:08 AM   #11

When you say alcohol which kind - I know it's not the drinking kind so no remarks please??? Anything in particular brandI should look for?

Is it OK to clean lens glass from the outside using alcohol, with a q-tip or should we stick to liquids for lense cleaning.

Like Roy asked, anyone recommend any links to lense cleaning?

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:38 AM   #12

your lens cleaning fluid is alcohol. i've read that acetone is good for the inside.

that amount of stuff inside the lens should not affect the image.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:48 AM   #13

Will cleaning the lens with alcohol affect any of the lens coatings?

I have an old Tamron M42screw mount80-250 f/3.8that I paid $40AUS for and it has some fungus/dust, shoots clean except at f/3.8 then it becomes very very soft, excellent for that hazy protrait look :G
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:06 AM   #14

it will not harm them. the prob w/alcohol at the house is it's mainly a water mix.

here's a couple of links..

lot of reading material here. good luck..
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:06 PM   #15

I used isoprophal alcohol for cleaning the lenses. I used Johny Walker Black Label in a small quantity to steady my hand before starting and the rest of the bottle when I failed on the second lens.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:55 PM   #16

:evilo not use Acetone to clean a lens... it will remove any coatings that have been applied and will soften some types of plastics:shock:Household rubbing alcohol contains about 10% water, denatured alcohol works best and remember most drug store cotton tip swabs( Q-Tips) contain a minute amout of oil for use on the skin. It will transfer to the surface you are attemping to clean.:roll::O
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote