Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2006, 4:32 PM   #1

Just bought a K100D "For my wife" as an anniversary gift. Originally chose a Nikon D50 but the local camera store didnt have any left and wasnt getting anymore" discontinued". Instead of going to Best Buy or another big store I stayed at the local Camera outfit (where we know someone)and chose the k100D based on the sample photos on Steves Digicams with the ist and samsung model coming in nicer IMHO better than the E-500 ( which was another consideration. Rebel Xt was a bit much$$ and felt cheap. I like the build quality of the pentax . Our friend didnt advise on the purchase due to the company possibly getting bought out or something, not a major player in the market................
The lense selection is stellar. Hope I made a good purchase. Have an old pentax zoom 105-R that has treated me well through the years. Too bad no real reviews yet on Steves ,Dp or DC. Is there Bias?
Will post pics after she gets it this weekend. BTW the intended use is for family photos and some dabbling, nothing professional. Its replacing a sony cybershot 2mp.

tzolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:46 PM   #2

Welcome aboard, you will enjoy your PENTAX camera. Bias, what bias, is there some bias towards PENTAX??? Too bloody right there is.

Seems unless the camera is a N or C, then it doesn't count. Those poor fools, delusional.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:55 PM   #3

Hi Todd, I don't think you will be disappointed by your choice, image quality is very close with all of these dSLRs and the SR feature will mean more sharp pictures.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:15 PM   #4

I Know nothing about the K100D but I think you made the right choice between the two.

When i was searching for mine, I had originally wanted a Nikon D50 but when I looked at various reviews and sample images both online and in print, the quality from the Nikon was disappointing and there was alot of purple fringing present in the shots I saw.

The camera I went for was the *ist DL2 and I have to say, I love it to bits!

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:44 PM   #5

you made the right decision.. the reviews??? guy, the best reviews you can read are right here by other users.. right here on this board, at dpr and at dc.. it's us that give the best reviews because WE are using the item on a daily basis.. welcome to the board and we all await your REVIEW!!

Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:10 PM   #6

Welcome! The K100D is a really nice camera - I'm SO happy with mine. Don't worry if you don't figure out the owners manual the first time. I've read it several times and still don't quite "get" some of it. If you DO happen to understand it all first time out, please let me know HOW you did it!

Seriously, the camera can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. It's a camera to experiment and have fun with.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote